ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Hello Everyone,

After a recent lightning storm in my neighborhood many of my neighbors and my family lost garage door openers, televisions, and computers. Thankfully I only lost my garage door opener! I had acceptable point of use surge protection…I think.

I’ve since upgraded my point of use surge protectors to 6000 joule models, installed a Siemens Surge Protector Breaker in my main panel, and also put a Cutler-Hammer Surge Trap at the point of entry that should help protect my phone line, cable TV line, and add a little more surge suppression to the Siemens unit in the main panel.

Now I want to upgrade my outdoor grounding system. My house is only 2 years old so I assume it has the standard minimal code requirement of a couple of rods with #4 copper wire connecting them via acorn bolts. I’d like to create a ground loop circling half the house with rods about 10 feet from each other off the same #4 copper.

Here’s my question: I have access to 1 inch rebar and I can get as much as I want for free. May I use this for my grounding rods at lengths of 6 feet each? Or should I go out to Home Depot and spend $7.00 for the copper rods they have there? Is rebar suitable for this sort of grounding application?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Cat Servant
There is no requirement that the ground rods be store-bought, or listed. Finding 5/8 or 3/4 rebar might be a challenge, though, at the home centers.

Lightning is a specialty field, and I have no idea whether your efforts would accomplish anything.

L
LK Offline
First welcome, Ryan We try not to give advice to DIY, i can understand your concern, after your experience with, a near strike, there are codes, and standards for grounding electrode systems, more is not always better, but if you do extend it, get the proper material, and placement information.

Link Copied to Clipboard