ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
kojunho Offline OP
just trying to see what kind of work people on this board perfer, residential, commercial, industrial?? what are the up's and down's of either one?? it seems like most of the electricians i talk to, seem to dislike residential work.

F
INDUSTRIAL but I'm prejudiced 14 years in steel mill 23 years wire and cable factory. The best part is trouble-shooting, never boring. Then comes adapting, parts obsolete, too expensive etc. more fun

C
I like Resi in older lower end homes.

K
Without a doubt industrial,especially motor controls and troubleshooting.Sometimes it can be frustrating especially when your in an old facility or the equiment is out of date.

A
I'm doing primarily residential and some commercial now. I spent quite a few years in the mills and I really enjoyed it but there's really nothing like being on your own. It would be really good if I could pick up some small industrial accounts, but being by myself I'm sort of hesitant. I know - no guts no glory!

V
enjoy res, doing large housing dev. now,,just got an acount for a bunch of pools, we will see how that works out.

Patrick
T
Residential Service. With few exceptions the benefits are cash flow and people. The downside is attics and crawls.

Dave

S
I wish I could work out of a bucket truck everyday repairing HID lights and/ or capacitors/ multi-tap transformers, but in reality I do mostly new/ old residential construction and service upgrades. I would love to do commercial work all day long, but the truth of it is I do mostly residential stuff. And I definitely love the work I do.

K
Definitely industrial.
I would rather run 4 inch rigid or tray and pull 750 mcm than fool with romex.
I worked mostly papermills, nuke plants, orange juice plants, rock mines, and sawmills.
Now that I’ve started my own company as a one-man show I don’t get to do much of the big stuff.
I still do some commercial. Lots of emt, which I’ve learned to enjoy.
I was used to using hydraulic and Chicago benders building many beautiful racks of concentric runs. Mostly screw pipe. Rigid and aluminum.
But it didn’t take long to adjust to a foot bender and emt.
Residential is ok if you have a couple of guys who are thorough, fast and efficient.
The sheetrock worries me some.
Once its up and painted and ready for trimout the wiring had better be right.
Commercial is a lot more forgiving. Just run another conduit.
Residential is also a lot more competitive.
It seems that the crews have to work like madmen to make money.
And some companies cut every corner possible on materials and technique.
I find it hard to compete.
I personally will not use any #14 wire and no multi wire branch circuits.
Just my preference, not saying either is wrong.
Once in a while on industrial we would have to jump through the hoop to get something done quick.
But usually it was pretty much just a steady pace (my preferred speed) or sometimes even laid back.
I also agree with feather and kain10, I really enjoy troubleshooting controls.
Here is a link to some of my conduit work. http://www.gtcom.net/~kdal/conduit.html

[This message has been edited by kdal (edited 04-20-2006).]

E
e57 Offline
Resi, or Comm, so long as money is no object. [Linked Image] There is nothing like people whining about money. Or trying to save $.01, by saving a whole lot of crap that would be better off in a land fill. i.e. for remodels, gut that hole, and call me after you got the sweeping compound in a barrel. And both are equally nice if the GC is good, likewise for the plans... There is nothing like dealing with a poorly detailed cartoon for a set of plans, and a GC who is dis-organized, and is learning as he goes. Or has an undeserved chip on the shoulder, lording around like he's hot stuff, but just another hack.

That said, I have worked with some of my areas finest... Who demand detailed plans and stick to them, have schedules to keep, and understand that when I say 3 weeks for a rough, I mean 3 weeks, not 2! They have all thier duck lined up before I get there, and let me know more than I need to know when it comes to the details.

Industrial ('round here), is often filthy work in excessively loud and busy environments, not my cup o' tea.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard