ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#59637 12/11/05 11:32 AM
... Hi gang,..
Got a call this week to troubleshoot a house where the old lady says the lights flicker,..but only in one area of the house, and one of the lights she said went "super-nova" for a few seconds. I was thinking, bad neutral connection on an Edison/multi-wire circuit..I went into the CB panel, and found a neutral wire loose at the neutral bar, tightened it, and searched for others..Found nothing else obvious...

The lady called yesterday, and said the flickering continues,..but to a lesser extent...also she has one receptacle that has blown out (3) telephone power supplies (you know,the plug in xfrmer,..we also call a "wall-wart")in succession...I checked voltage and it's fine,..and when I go there, there's NO flickering... coincidence or ghosts?? HELP!!!
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#59638 12/11/05 11:50 AM
H
You are on the right track. If it looks like the problem is confined to two circuits see if they are on the same multiwire branch circuit then take everything apart and check the neutral connections.

Also don't discount a neutral problem with the service.

-Hal

#59639 12/11/05 12:29 PM
B
Russ,
Instead of tightening the loose neutral you might want to remove it, cut a fresh end and re land it in an unused hole. If it had been arcing the connection could be compromised. Of course you know enough to shut down the edison ckt first.

#59640 12/11/05 12:45 PM
... Thanx, guys...
Yeah, Hal, I'm gonna go back there on Monday, and sort it out once and for all...

BigB,.. I hear ya,..the problem is that some hack stuffed 2 neutrals under one terminal,I'm gonna have to make some room by doubling up on the bare ground wires..and freeing up a space..

This place is the pits..electrically.. They have some outdated, obsolete relay switching system installed (all home made by the previous sparky)and she wants it all ripped out and run to normal switches..ALL TO BE DONE BEFORE THE HOLIDAYS!! Bah Humbug!!
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#59641 12/11/05 03:54 PM
"Outdated, obsolete relay switching system....."

This smells familiar.. check your neutral connections in the relay cabinets. I've seen before where someone's stuffed all the neutrals in a splitbolt going off to all the different lights.. Most of the time I come across "Touchplate" it's someone wanting to get rid of it.. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard