ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#55639 09/02/05 04:56 PM
C
I am looking for any good study tips to help me pass the unrestricted electrical exam this nov in GA.
I dont have any real exper with the industrial side of things (transformers and Motors) that seems to be my weakest points.
I have taken the test before and made a 66 because of the trans and motors. I keep getting the formulas mixed up.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Chris Simms

#55640 09/02/05 05:09 PM
T
Would they let you have a sheet with the formulas, or is it "closed book".

Dave

#55641 09/02/05 05:14 PM
C
The Ga test is open book but your not supposed to bring anything that is not on the ref list
Chris

#55642 09/02/05 09:34 PM
F
How many questions on the exam and how much time is allowed to write it? then calculate the amount of time you have for each answer.Be sure your up to speed on looking up code rules and applying them.

Take your reference material and know it by heart.Do one book at a time.The average person will need to read/do it three times within 72hrs for it to be committed to long term memory and then weekly there after

Pre exam courses are great because there will be people there that have failed test and have a better understanding of the exam content than the instructor.Pick their brains

Don't skip questions when you write the exam.
Do your best to answer them then write the question # down so you can go back if there is time.

Try to remember any questions that gave you a hard time and write them down when you get back to your car in case you've failed and have to rewrite.

Go to bed early and have a good breakfast

If its multiple choice pick the best answer.Typically there will be more than one right answer but one will be more correct than the others.Look at wording of the question cafully

Finally these exams are not meant to be passed the first time you write.They are looking for a certain state of mind/way of thinking.
cheers

#55643 09/02/05 10:55 PM
J
I took a Tom Henry course that came to Jonesboro the weekend before the test. Friday afternoon was spent on taxes, Sat. was spent on resi., and Sun. was spent on the indusrial and commerical asspects. You can sign up to take whatever portian you want or all 3 classes. I beleive that it helped me pass the first time. Are they giving it on the 02 or 05 then? Where are you taking the test?

"Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years to late" Jimmy Buffett
#55644 09/03/05 12:30 AM
G
Learn how to use the table of contents and index.
Tab your books!
I didn't use the tab set they sell you. I made my own with definitive names. I also took different color highlighters and color coded the important chapters by striping the edge of the pages. When I took my first round of inspector tests my 1990 code book was tabbed and marked like a rainbow but I could quickly get to any table or article.
These tests go real fast if you can open the book to the article they are quoting in the correct answer. Watch out for words like "never" and "always". Be sure you see all the "no"s and "not"s. That is usually where the tricks are in a trick question.

If you can find your way around the books time will not be an issue. If you can't answer a question definately, take your best guess, mark it and move on. Go back and work on them when you are done. Be very careful if you simply skip one. You can get off one line on the answer sheet and screw your whole test.

Greg Fretwell
#55645 09/03/05 05:22 AM
C
Frank,There is 164 questions on the unrestricted exam including 21 or so "pre test questions" that do not count on the test.They do not tell you which ones they are and do not alow any extra time to take them.
Jbfan,The test in nov is the last test base on 2002 nec I am taking the test in Atlanta GA.
Gfretwell, My books already look like a rainbow and if they had any more tabs I could fly them to the test!
I have not problem with the look up part of the test, I have taken several simulated tests and done well my only real problems are the problems with motors and transformers.I haven't been able to grasp them as yet. I have only done residental electrical but the state of GA only has 2 classifications

Class1 Restricted (single family dwelling, 200 amps or less.)

Class 2 Unrestricted (all of class 1 and everything else!)

Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard