ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
We'll hope to enjoy fireworks and festivities while we think of all those who have given their lives and their effort to keep this country free, including many of you!

Independence Day is my all-time favorite holiday (secular) for some reason. Maybe because it means so much and is cause for such joy and appreciation. Maybe because it stirs feelings of patriotism. Maybe because it is so valuable and comes at such a high cost. Maybe because there are scads of people who come together to enjoy the prize that is called liberty. Maybe because it encourages those who continue to make sacrifices if they know that we, as a country, hold them in high esteem and honor them with their due on this day. Maybe it's because 'old glory' really does fly gloriously in the summer breeze while pride mixes with humble appreciation in our hearts at the sight of it.

I don't know but the whole day and all the festivities certainly portray all that is good in our country, in my opinion.

I hope your celebration is as wonderful as we expect ours to be.

As an aside, we'll also be celebrating my nephew's promotion to PFC while he's in Viosec (sp?), Germany. (Photo at http://www3.caringbridge.org/nm/codya/photo.htm to elicit memories and share our family's pride. And for history buffs, please tell me if you see the family resemblance between him and his G-G-G-G (G-?) uncle, Gen. George B. McClellan... I think I do but that could just be my subjective view.)

[This message has been edited by BuggabooBren (edited 07-01-2005).]

F
Youngest daughter's 9th birthday is 7/2 so festivities are centered around that. Other-wise, skunk hunting will dominate my free time this weekend. 3 down and 3 to go! I have a recipe to rid people/pets of skunk stink that actually works if anyone is interested.

A
the 4th is my son's birthday, he'll be four, so the b-day bbq then fireworks.

B
[Linked Image] Cool, Adam. That is known as a Golden Birthday - when you turn the age of the number of the date - 4 on the 4th.

Make it an extra special day with a red plate and have everyone else's plate be a white, for example. I can't remember where the tradition comes from but I think it's pretty neat.

Also, your son shares the birthday with:

- Calvin Coolidge, 30th President of the U.S.
- Rube Goldberg (how cool is this??!!)
- Twins Ann Landers and Abigail Van Buren (Dear Abby)
- Actors/Actresses George Murphy, Eve Marie Saint, Gina Lollobrigida, Gloria Stuart
- recording artist & music industry exec Mitch Miller
- playwright Neil Simon
- George Steinbrenner, of NY Yankee fame

Sounds like they are in good company with your son in the mix!

R
Bren: I haven't seen you post in some time. I hope your son is doing well. How is he?

I hope you know we are all pulling for him!

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
B
Thanks, Ryan, we are counting on lots of people keeping us uplifted and thank every one of you with heartfelt thanks!

Yeah, he's doing pretty well through his treatments. We're ONE cycle of chemo away from finishing the 2nd phase of his treatment. Glad to have the two harshest phases almost behind us but I'm kind of dreading the last phase - long-term maintenance which will take him through Feb or Mar of 2007. I'm taking a great deal of joy in hoping that he's past the 'most likely' period of potential relapse and that him getting through without any return of the cancer so far is a pretty good indicator that he'll be one of the kids who sees a 'cured' stamp on his records. Whoo hoo, what a great day that will be! [Linked Image]

There are updates at his site www.caringbridge.org/nm/codya if you want to see photos and check on him once in a while! We'd also love to see 'guestbook' notes from anyone who wants to drop him a line.

R
Thats great news! I hope he continues to do well, and I hope you and your family will continue to remain strong through this difficult time.

As for my plans for the 4th....
I had surgery on my leg yesterday, so my plans are to hang out at the house and watch my old cheesy 1930's horror films that I enjoy so much! What a geek!

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
B
Ouch!! Hope your recovery goes quickly and you're back in good health soon!

30's horror films, huh? Sounds interesting (though not my cup 'o tea as I'm not keen on horror stuff but maybe from the 30's era it would be more to my liking than the ultra-realistic gore of today!)

P
No parties and fireworks over here on the fourth, but then who'd celebrate having to run away with their tail between their legs, eh? [Linked Image]

Y'all have a great day however you're going to celebrate it.

[Linked Image]

GOD BLESS AMERICA

B
I did think about you, Paul! I don't know what the UK could find as a 'silver lining' in all of this - - perhaps a 'goodbye and good riddance, you bunch of misfits' kind of outlook perhaps.

Thanks for jumping in though!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard