ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#49361 03/04/05 10:47 PM
B
Some of you Florida guys may be interested in this. There is a bill going through the State Senate as we speak that will change when, how, and what building codes will be adopted by the state. Here is the exact wording of the most pertinent section:

The commission, by rule adopted pursuant to ss. 120.536(1) and 120.54, shall update the Florida Building Code every 3 years. When updating the Florida Building Code, the commission shall select the most current version of the International Building Code, the International Fuel Gas Code, the International Mechanical Code, the International Plumbing Code, the International Residential Code, the International Code Council Electrical Code, all of which are adopted by the International Code Congress, to form the foundation codes of the updated Florida Building Code, if the version has been adopted by the International Code Congress and made available to the public at least 6 months prior to its selection by the commission.

The key issues here are the adoption of the IRC and the IEC. This means dwellings with services under 400-amperes must meet the provisions of the IRC and not the NEC. Plus, the IEC has some pretty wild requirements that must be met like provisions for existing electrical systems

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
P
Brian
This occured in NYS in January of 2003. The code cycle is 1 year behind the NEC cycle. It has caused considerable confusion here and probably will for some time to come.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
G
I don't understand why Florida is doing this. They finally stabilized our building codes and now they are shaking the pot again.
I guess if we didn't have code upheavals every year or so we wouldn't need that bloated code bureaucracy.

Greg Fretwell
I
"I guess if we didn't have code upheavals every year or so we wouldn't need that bloated code bureaucracy."

Hey, our bureaucrats have to justify their existance somehow. Despite whether they are actually needed or not.

B
By the way, this bill is being sponsored by Senator Michael Bennett, District 21.

Mr. Bennett just happens to also by a licensed electrical contractor in the Sarasota/Bradenton area.

I have E-mailed Mr. Bennett to get more information on what this change really means for the NEC and its adoption.

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
B
The new 2004 Florida Building Code is now available and can be viewed here:
http://www2.iccsafe.org/2004_Florida_Codes/index.htm

Chapter 27 of the FBC references the NFPA 70, 110, and 111. Chapter 27 of the FRC references the NFPA 70A and 70. Chapter 9 of the FBC references the NFPA 72. THe 2004 Florida Building COde wil be adopted on July 1, 2005. It will adopte the 2002 version of the NEC 70 and 70A. The 2005 NEC 70 and 70A goes to the Florida Building Commission in October where it will be presented to the state legislator for adoption on July 1, 2006.

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.

Link Copied to Clipboard