ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#482 01/30/01 03:17 AM
Saw a Commercial today that didn't sit just right, guess you'd call it an "infomercial" on the weather channel. It was about saving energy by sealing up all the openings up in the attic. The chases for plumbing vent and other pipes with expanding foam, and using caulking to seal every drilled hole that wires passed through. That itself is enough to make a residential Electrician see red, but it was the last part that caught my attention the most. They showed sealing (caulking) around the recessed light housings in the attic and then moving the loose fill-type insulation back against a non-IC type can (white one). Has anyone seen these commercials? What do you think about it?

Bill
S
Bill,
No have not seen that yet....
But last fall i was at a home , who's previous owner must have . He used that expanding foam stuff. It was everwhere. He had even taken off the device plates and filled all the boxes !!!! [Linked Image]

Sparky,

I've seen that also. It is a real pain to change a device like that. I don't think it's a good idea. Any idea how flammable that stuff is? What about the loose-fill insulation that looks like cloth fibers or lint?
Does anybody know?

Bill
D
doc Offline
well this spray on stuff is first propelled with propane and yes it is flammable ,now the fiber insulation that looks like lint is fire retardant for about 4 to 5 years and then it is just like shredded newspaper{ unless it has been changed in the last few years } what happens is the protectant in it slowly fades away

MAY THE SUN SHINE ON YOUR FACE IN THE MORNING AND YOU AWAKE WITH A SMILE
S
I wonder why it did'nt ground out? , after all, some deserve to "see the light" [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard