ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
BigB Offline OP
Lately there have been a lot of residential duplexes changing hands here. Many are in need of upgrades which are getting done at the time of sale.
My question to those who have done these, do you prefer to go with one riser and a gutter or two risers? The POCO here only requires one riser to be 2" IMC, the other can be smaller since it does not support the drop.
I was thinking two meter combos and two risers to be simple and inexpensive. Here in AZ it customary to install everything in one panel, branch circuits and all. 100 amp combos are only 50 bucks. The damn 2" IMC riser costs $40. To me the gutter seems like more labor, expensive bugs and bigger wire.
Just wanted to get some opinions.

I
I was thinking two meter combos and two risers to be simple

Why not a two gang socket and one riser?

This one riser only needs to be large enough to carry the calculated load not the total breaker size.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
B
BigB Offline OP
iwire,
the last time I asked about dual meter packs I think I was quoted between 300 and 400 dollars. If I just use meter sockets, then I need to install two main panels under them, which might work ok. I'll check the supply house tomorrow.

S
The 400 amp (dual 200 compatiable, I did 200 amp, dual 100's) two gang meter pan I installed last week was under $200 including the lug kit.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
R
Just wondering, on a side by side dulplex, how do you put someones meter on someone else's property?
Can't fences be put up to seperate yard space?
What happens if an owner is a jerk and won't let an electrician in his yard to work on a problem concerning your meter.

M
Hi,
Russ-most duplexes are rentals and owned by one person or company. I am not saying that there are not two party duplexes but is probably not that common.

A duplex will have two separate back yards, front yard and driveway but often will share some part of the building.

Just my thought.

Regards

Greg

R
Hi Greg:
I don't think there are more than a couple of duplexs in my city, and I've never had to deal with it. I do have friends that live in duplexs in other areas, were the duplexs have two seperate owners. That's what came to mind when I read this thread.

Link Copied to Clipboard