ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
sockets Offline OP
What is the usual connection method of commercial cooking equipment in the center of a room. When there is no kneewall.

I saw one example where the wires were in a tubelike flex conduit, which looked strange to me. Perhaps it was temporary or a replacement of equipment required rerouting of power? Odd, what's your opinions?

G
power poles, tend to work well

Stub-ups, if possible; power poles, or RGC/IMC ceiling to floor flance, with a tee, or box, as required.

If the equip can be cord connected, a suitable cord/twistlock and ceiling mounted receptacle works.

Some fast food ops have a 'cord drop' with matching twistlocks, or pin-sleeve devices.
(Let's not debate cord usage here guys)

John

John
C
As someone who worked in fast-food (yikes!) for years, go with the ceiling drop cords. We had those, the floor junction boxes, & the poles. The floor boxes provide a fantastic fireworks display when mopping, and both pole & floor boxes are easily destroyed when moving equipment around. We finally installed ceiling drops with (quick disconnects?) - they were the only reliable & safe connection.

S
sockets Offline OP
The kitchen had an original build date of 1980, do you suppose it had any equipment replacements?

It was the standard seen equipment all under a canopy hood.

A
For taller equipment like the stand up friges I like the twist rec on the cieling. Strut mounted to the floor and structure with a pipe and a bell box. It can be solid but they are limited to making adjustments to equip. locations. It tame more time to do. If you get some place that gets what ever used eqipment that is on special it's not the best chioce. Before your done they will have replaced the bad equipment with something different. I like the SO twist cord idea. More flexable in layout.

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard