ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 378 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#36805 04/15/04 08:36 AM
K
kyme Offline OP
I went on a service call the other night. It was for a local CPA office. A few receptacle replacements and a couple of bad ballast. As it was still light outside I decided to shut off them main breaker to do my repairs. All was well until I finished and went back to turn the main breaker back on. The main would not reset!! By now it was 7 pm. To top it off the main was an old
QO and had to be ordered. I think that was one of the most aggravating calls that i have ever made. Needless to say the temp
repair that i had to make would not have
passed anyones inspection, but when faced with a situation like that what would you all do? I took the line wires out of the main, used polaris connectors to go down to a smaller awg and back fed the panel through a smaller breaker. The service was 200 amp.

#36806 04/15/04 08:56 AM
C
That was bad luck. Any reason not to use a tracer and shut off the branch CB's that were being serviced? If the main has not been "exercised" in a while, there is always the possibility of not resetting. Did the new replacement main CB work out for you?

#36807 04/15/04 11:10 AM
K
kyme Offline OP
Yes the new one worked out fine. as far ar
the tracer goes, i guess you have to know this building. there can be 4 receptacles in one room and they would all be on a
different circuit.

#36808 04/15/04 05:13 PM
S
Kyme,

Sound like your temp repair was perfect in this instance. Good job

I've had mains on houses not reset a couple of times, usually just like your service call, at the end of the day and I had someplace important to go. Murphy!!

Did they try to get out of paying for this? I have had several customers try and refuse to pay on these. However, after explaining that this stuff needs to be in good working order and could of failed on the Super Bowl or Christmas and that this was a convenient time to discover the problem, they have all came around.

I don’t turn off mains unless I have to now, but when they do fail I only take responsibility for fixing them. Some one else has to pay, they’re not broke just because I turned them off.

Sam

Link Copied to Clipboard