ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#35315 03/07/04 11:52 PM
E
eswets Offline OP
I am a new electrical contractor in the suburbs of Chicago, and we are required to use conduit. Most of my work is T&M and I have to bid some residential work. I was wondering you other figure per opening in residential. Cable or pipe prices will help, just let me know what you use. Thanks

#35316 03/08/04 12:28 AM
L
LK Offline
Price per opening
This way of bidding started back in the fifties, when the housing boom went in to high gear. The building developer would bid out piece work from all the trades. The idea was to find the lowest installed cost and get the highest price for the completed project. Before the housing boom, electrical contractors and others, would bid an estimated price, based on material and labor and then add a profit.
The price per opening, may have worked well, when all the homes were cookie cutter type.
Today, not all but some homes are larger, and have different electrical needs.
The builders use the price per opening to drive down the bid and cut the costs, so be sure your price will clear a profit when bidding price per opening.

Link Copied to Clipboard