ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Top Posters(30 Days)
Potseal 11
Recent Posts
600 KW 120/208 3 Phase Y protection
by SteveFehr. 07/23/17 09:46 AM
1913 American Electrician's Handbook
by gfretwell. 07/20/17 01:08 PM
Green House wiring
by ghost307. 07/20/17 09:10 AM
Permit Snafus...AHJs and Contractors Jump in
by HotLine1. 07/18/17 08:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Popular Topics(Views)
239,276 Are you busy
174,738 Re: Forum
167,113 Need opinion
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 69 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#35284 - 03/07/04 01:54 PM Procedure for updating a residential service  
Electric Ian  Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 133
Although I am a licensed electrician, I have not done a residential electrical service upgrade in many years. I am located im MA. Wondering if someone out there can help me out by explaining what the procedural steps are. For example after I take out a permit and contact the utility company, can I disconnect the overhead myself? Once I've finished the upgrade can I reconnect the overhead myself? If so, must the service be inspected prior to reconnecting? If I do the service on a Saturday, for example, will the utility company come out on a weekend or is it standard that I do a temp reconnect and jump the meter until the utility company gets out to redo the connection and put the new meter in place. Thanks for your help.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

#35285 - 03/07/04 03:28 PM Re: Procedure for updating a residential service  
NJwirenut  Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 806
Bergen County, NJ
Procedures will vary depending on your area and utility.

Here in NJ, we disconnect and reconnect the overhead drop ourselves, but we reinstall the meter that was removed from the old service (unless it is damaged in some way). The utility comes around to make permanent connections and reseal the meter pan after the inspector issues a "cut-in card". Depending on the area, this could take weeks or even months....

#35286 - 03/07/04 05:47 PM Re: Procedure for updating a residential service  
earlydean  Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 751
Griswold, CT, USA

This is the link to CL&P's contractor page. Northeast utilities is the same company, I think. Anyway, cut and reconnect is allowed in CL&P territory, but a licensed electrical contractor must first sign up. You get your jumpers and blank cover from your local BO when you pull the permit, do the work, and leave the meter on the ground next to the meter enclosure. Call for the inspection on Monday, and after the inspector gives the OK, CL&P will come out and replace the meter jumpers with a new meter. Easy and neat. The owner has his usage estimated in the mean time, so I always tell them to enjoy wasting as much electricity as they can until the utility installs the new meter.



#35287 - 03/07/04 08:23 PM Re: Procedure for updating a residential service  
Electric Ian  Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 133
Sounds like I need to call the utility company to get the info on the exact procdures for my area, but at least now I have an idea of what to expect. Thanks guys.

#35288 - 03/08/04 06:06 PM Re: Procedure for updating a residential service  
Bill Addiss  Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 3,878
On Long Island the procedure is similar to what NJwirenut describes except that the POCO will supply parallel-groove type connectors to make the permanent connections.


#35289 - 03/09/04 07:42 AM Re: Procedure for updating a residential service  
Electricmanscott  Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,457
Holden, MA USA
Varies from town to town. Usually in areas served by Mass Electric or Nstar you will have to call their customer service and get a service request number. You will need this number in order to get a permit. With these utilities you can disconnect and reconnect yourself. Nstar requires your connection to be permanent. Mass Elec used to redo your connnection after inspection. Not sure if they still do. In towns served by local utility it is best to call the utility and see what they require. Any more questions Email me. I work in your town all the time. Scott

#35290 - 03/09/04 10:35 PM Re: Procedure for updating a residential service  
Joey D  Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 259
Arlington MA U.S.
To replace an existing service, just pull a permit. For a new service a request # is required fro your permit.
All connections are to be perminant, reuse the old meter unless it's broken or one of the very old ones that will not fit the new socket.
Most towns are also requiring 2 ground rods now unless you show then one is enough

#35291 - 03/09/04 10:37 PM Re: Procedure for updating a residential service  
Joey D  Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 259
Arlington MA U.S.
Is the job in Westford? Dennis is a great guy to deal with. I had his father in trade school

Member Spotlight
Posts: 3,447
Joined: October 2000
Show All Member Profiles 

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.015s Queries: 14 (0.003s) Memory: 0.7929 MB (Peak: 0.9517 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-07-24 12:48:09 UTC