ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 273 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#33799 01/28/04 04:57 PM
S
I've got to bid on a job with 6 transformers supplying neon lights. The information on one of the transformers said 240 VA. The transformers are 120 volt on line side. Has anyone done many of these neon lights? Is there any special code requirements other than sizing, overcurrent, etc... I haven't had much success trying to find out in the code... Sort of hectic around my place with the snow, grandchildren etc..... ....
Thanks a lot.. Steve
PS: I'm trying to find out the load on 1 of these transformers. Some reason the 240 VA is confusing me....
Sorry to be so dumb [Linked Image] Thanks again [Linked Image]

#33800 01/28/04 05:25 PM
I
Sparky there is a lot to neon lighting.

Check out these links.

http://www.signweb.com/neon/cont/neonrepair.html

http://www.universalballast.com/techSupport/trouble_shooting/neon_qa.html

There where provided for me when I needed neon help at this thread.

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002750.html

Good luck and be careful this stuff can start fires.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#33801 01/28/04 05:37 PM
S
Before my ignorance really shows, forget about the 240 VA, equivalent to approx. 240 watts, right??? [Linked Image] I was taught in school before they changed it... years ago... it's coming back to me now, I think [Linked Image] Steve...

BTW the lights are already installed, new lights, I'm just to pull power to the transformers...

#33802 01/28/04 06:14 PM
S
Ok, grand daughter went home, and I was able to get out my code book. I found the in's and out's of the wiring required. And according to my interpretation of the disconnects required, it says in
Article 600-6 ( 99 code), "Each sign and outline lihgting system, or feeder circuit or branch circuit supplying a sign or outline lighting system, shall be controlled by an externally operable switch or circuit breaker that will open all ungrounded conductors". When it says "each", I assume this means that each transformer is considered a different system, therefore requiring a disconnect at each transformer.
If anyone has a different or better interpretation, I would appreciate your response. Thanks a lot, sorry for all the unneccesary questions. It's one of them rush days... Thanks again.. Steve

#33803 01/28/04 08:38 PM
Steve:
Check the neon xfr, some of the new ones have a switch factory installed, that is the required disc. 240 va is 2 amps at 120 volts, 6 xfrs = 12 amps, 1-20 amp circuit, (or 15) will work.

As to the actual 'neon' part, the secondary from the xfr, the neon guy probably did that. CYA, buddy, and make sure the AHJ knows that, and the customer is aware of that.

John

John
#33804 01/28/04 09:23 PM
C
Steve, you'll need a switch for each primary (supply) circuit within sight of the neon. There are a few options as to where to locate the switch in the code. The reason for the switch is to provide a safe disconnect for the service tech. making repairs to the sign/neon.

Andy

#33805 01/30/04 07:27 AM
Broom Pusher and
The "Cold-Cathode" systems I worked on had a Transformer with Secondary output of 120ma @ 5KV (600 VA), with a 120VAC Primary.
Heavy sucker!
One was sent with a broken Bushing (Insulator), and the replacement took weeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkssssss to arrive!

Funny thing about the Cold-Cathode Transformer, it had no Secondary GFPE included!

The "Normal" Neon setups I have seen in the last couple years, used Transformers with GFPE sensing for the Secondary + Lamp circuitry.

All setups mentioned here used GTO-15 cable.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#33806 02/01/04 09:52 PM
B
You should put one disconnect switch on the back of the wall with the transformers and one disconnect switch should have been installed on the exterior near the channel letters.

It is likely that each transformer could have a different load. So you will have to determine whether a single 20 amp circuit or a 30 amp circuit or double 20 amp cicuits should be used.

In either case use just one switch arranged so that once disconnected their are no live conductors in ANY of the transformer cans.

There are exceptions that allow a lockable disconnect to be located elsewhere but that kinda of circumvents the purpose of the switch in the first place.

Hope that helps. [Linked Image]

#33807 02/01/04 09:57 PM
B
You should put one disconnect switch on the back of the wall with the transformers and one disconnect switch should have been installed on the exterior near the channel letters.

It is likely that each transformer could have a different load. So you will have to determine whether a single 20 amp circuit or a 30 amp circuit or double 20 amp cicuits should be used.

In either case use just one switch arranged so that once disconnected their are no live conductors in ANY of the transformer cans.

There are exceptions that allow a lockable disconnect to be located elsewhere but that kinda of circumvents the purpose of the switch in the first place.

Hope that helps. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard