Around this time of year many people have lots of Christmas lights on their porches, in their yards, etc. Usually the power source is from wherever they can find it, whether it's the exterior receptacle, or off of the porch light, which is usually NOT GFCI protectected. Sometimes it's from an extension cord hanging out of a window or running under the front door. Have any of you run across cases of damage, shocks, or other problems from this type of temp wiring? With all the snow, ice and rain that is around during this season, I have been hesitant to decorate with lights outside, since I do not have GFCI protected power available as of yet (old house). The possibility of my kids getting injured playing outside around cheap lighting and extension cords is scary. This is a bone of contention between me wife and I, and I've been meaning to install something in the future for this. I'm surprised though, that I haven't seen anything about shocks or fires from these things.
Yeah Bill, I'd go with that idea, the use of a portable GFCI would be the best way around this dilemma. It's actually a requirement over here that any outdoor decorative lighting, temporary or not, (where it is not 12/24V) have a GFCI unit on it, makes sense really. Although I have never heard of anyone being electrocuted by this type of lighting, unless of course, you watch Home Improvement!.