ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
F
Fred Offline OP
I need some help with 2002 NEC references to clarify an issue. Here's the situation:
My local REMC is the last electric utility in the area that still wants a grounding electrode connection from their meter base to the grounding electrode. All other utilities in the area forbid this and want to see this connection made only in the first means of OCP. This REMC had the same line super and operations manager for the last 42 years and it was policy to require the connection in the meter base, grounding the neutral there and nowhere else. Well now they have a new Ops manager and a new line super. The line super is a 27 year lineman and a good common sense guy. The Ops manager is also a good guy but he is now requiring an additional GEC to be ran from the grounding electrode to the main OCP. The line super doesn't think this is right and contacted me for specific code references to support his position since he isn't and hasn't had to be well versed in the NEC in his career as a lineman/serviceman with the utility. His take on the situation is that the neutral should be grounded at the first means of OCP and no GEC connection should be made in the meter base. The meterbase is bonded to the neutral and with the neutral being bonded in the main OCP that bonds the meter base enclosure. My understanding is the service neutral should only be bonded in one place, either the meterbase or the main OCP, to avoid parrallel(sp) paths. The line super is asking for my help so he can pitch a policy change to the board next month with sound references for his proposal. He would like to see this REMC get on the same page as the surrounding utilities. He is to be commended, in my opinion. Specific 2002 code article references would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Administrator
Moved to NEC area

Link Copied to Clipboard