ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 256 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#31774 12/04/03 06:35 PM
K
Does any one know what kind of electrical work you dont have to be licensed to do?Meaning can you do lighting and stuff without a licenese?

#31775 12/04/03 06:51 PM
You can probably change lightbulbs, if you know the dangers involved.

#31776 12/04/03 07:05 PM
S
In many 'unenforced' states this merely equates to a liability isse kdrifter440...

ask you insurer.

~S~

#31777 12/04/03 08:43 PM
S
In order to work with wiring (especially for a living) in New York City you MUST be a licenced electrician. No exceptions.

#31778 12/04/03 08:51 PM
My understanding is;
generally, if you are doing Electrical work for pay (on your own) you must have a License. This would include Lighting Maintenance - changing Bulbs, etc.

Last year I was offered a position with a large lighting maintenance company that was trying (quickly and quietly) to get a License to hang on their wall.

Bill

Bill
#31779 12/04/03 09:30 PM
S
As far as this goes NYC and LI are different worlds. You need something everywhere you go. A boss I had about 15 years ago on LI had more plaques on his wall than an attorney. Back then he said it cost him over $2000 a year to renew all his licenses.

Outside the Metro area it goes by locality. Most bigger villages need something as well as most cities. I am licensed in the City of Kingston. That reciprocates with Poughkeepsie and Village of Saugerties. Newburgh does no though. Green County does require a county wide license.
Anywhere that does not require a license you can do as you please. Like someone posted, check with your insurer to see if you're covered though.
I know of many *cough* electricians*cough* without licenses who I would not let wire my car stereo.
I have strong feelings about this and do think we in NY need some sort of standardized licensing. At least north of the City. They can do what they want down there.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
#31780 12/04/03 09:40 PM
Bill:
Just a comment here...
I'm amazed that New York does not have a statewide EC license as we have in New Jersey. And some of the 'City' guys call us backward & behind the times.

BTW, Whats the requirements for the AHJ's?? Are they State Lic., as on my side of the river, or is it a 'local' think too??

John

John
#31781 12/06/03 07:48 PM
P
New York State is in the DARK AGE when it comes to licensing and certifications and even education of electrical personel on all levels.

1. The state does not certify or otherwise enforce much about electrical inspectors. The municipalities are required to take care of that on a local level. They hire 3rd party inspection agencies, who in turn hire their own inspectors. There are some of those agencies who have somewhat shakey practices as to hiring.

2. Outside of NYC the licensing of electrical people is different in each and every area. Before you do any work in the area you are interested in, call the municipality and they will let you know. There are many municipalities that do not require a license in NY State and if your dog can pull wire, he can work [Linked Image].

This is not going to change for a long time, because of politics! [Linked Image]

The funny part of this is that the states that surround NY are state licensed.
Even more funny is in NY if you want to cut hair you need a state license and have to take 10 of CEUs .

In NY there is no requirement for education of electricians on any level.

The good part. There are a lot of very talented electricians in NY. The talented ones have struggled to get ahead as the locations to receive an education are slim to none in some areas.

I live 30 minutes by train north of Grand Central Station in NYC, and except for my training center there are no training centers for the general public within an 1 1/2 hours from me!!! The unions have their training centers, but since training is not mandatory, most will not go and it is not profitable for bigger schools/training centers to open here.
In the 1 1/2 hour radius I mentioned by the way there are approximately 10,000 to 12,000 electricians working. We are one of the busiest areas in the country without any formal training for the nonunion electricians. You can imagine what some of the work is like- very sad indeed!

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
#31782 12/06/03 10:39 PM
John,

Sorry, I didn't see your question;
As Pierre stated the Municipalities on Long Island set forth the requirements for 3rd party agencies. I don't know if there are any specific requirements for the AHJs, but the ones I know are IAEI Certified and at least one I know is also ICBO certified for several Trades.

One Agency that I deal with is actually a part of an Agency based in NJ and also PA.

As far as Licensing goes for Electricians, all of Long Island and NY City requires it. Some, but not all of the areas also have Continuing Education requirements that must be met. Outside of those areas I don't know about.

Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard