ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#31751 12/03/03 12:05 AM
E
My guys called me from the supply house today to tell me that they were out of round pop in boxes. I found that hard to believe, so I went there myself later for another part and asked about it. I was told that there is a nation wide shortage of these boxes. (We're talking the T&B style with the "wing" on the back, not the Carlon blue crap). I called 2 other suppliers and was told they were out also. I got lucky with a 3rd supplier and bought the last case they had. That will last us for a week or 2, but not much more. Has anyone else found this same problem yet or any other items?

#31752 12/03/03 10:58 AM
K
what is the product#

#31753 12/03/03 06:41 PM
E
I think it was 3080-9, but that's off my head.

#31754 12/03/03 06:43 PM
G
Haven't heard that one. I bought 8 yesterday and no one mentioned it.

Something I have noticed,is that supply houses here(only 3 in the immediate area) seem to have started keeping limited quanities of certain materials.

One was out of ivory gfci receps.
One was out of 100a main lug panels.
One had no 1/2" emt couplings. All of them are always out of one common item or another here lately.

The common refrain seems to be "We'll have you some tomorrow" or "First of next week"

Russell

#31755 12/03/03 07:08 PM
G
"Something I have noticed,is that supply houses here(only 3 in the immediate area) seem to have started keeping limited quanities of certain materials."

This is true more and more around here. Common items are frequently out of stock, sure they can have it in a few days, but what am I supposed to do today.

IMO this is a result of letting the accountants run the country. The popular business model today is that inventory is evil, stock turns rule, and you don't want to stock anything that you aren't going to sell today.

I don't know what the answer is. What it does for us is forces us to carry more inventory ourselves. If I have to carry my own inventory why do I need the supply house? If the trend continues they will eliminate themselves completely.

GJ

#31756 12/03/03 07:32 PM
W
I agree that supply houses are having problems keeping their shelves stocked. I also believe it's a direct result of inventory control. There is minimum ordering that forces supply houses to order say $500 for instance. So they try to order several good selling items in one shot to save on minimum billing and freight charges. Supply branches will try to pool on ordering to minimize inventory. Also a lot are sending back to the manufacturer non selling items and receiving a credit but paying shipping charges in some cases. Also manufacturers in this country are going out of business such as LEE enclosures. I was surprised. I guess other countries such as Canada have a much cheaper line that supply houses are carrying. It is an upsetting situation when you have to squeeze a nickle to make things work. Do you guys remember 15 to 20 years ago there would be 10 people working at the supply house. Now it's 5 people running the place.

#31757 12/03/03 08:34 PM
M
Today I bought a few items and every one was "made in China". Thats why the manufacturers are going out of business. Of course they bring it upon themselves as they arrange for them to manufacture parts under thier trade name. Its a sad world out there!

#31758 12/03/03 08:55 PM
M
Its easy to blame the manufacturers for all of the problems, but how many times did we scream about high prices on American made? How many times did we support an American company by buying their product or insisting on American Made?

Remeber the old slogan, "Buy Union Made"?

There was a good reason, it was to keep jobs and our money here at home where it should be.

The warehouse I work in ships footwear, apparrel and sports equipment. I can count on one hand the suppliers from this country.

Sad, but true we have allowed this to happen, NAFTA and the new AFTA plan have jsut about put the nail in the coffin of American manufacturing.

I apologize for being on my soap box, but industrial maintenance is my bread and butter.

#31759 12/04/03 08:17 AM
S
capatalism, like water, seeks it's lowest level and has no allegiance to anyone.

3 axioms apply...

good, fast & cheap

pick two because anyone claiming to give you all 3 is pullin' your leg...

~S~

#31760 12/04/03 10:44 AM
K
I was asking the part # so i could check to
see if there was a supply shortage with TB. it shows the normal lead time on their web page, so it should be readily available. i have been in the electrical field for 20 years, as a contractor and now on the supply end. all companies it seems are now looking at inventory turns as the leading indicator on how much stock to put on the shelves. that causes a lot of problems for the contractor. at our store we are constantly
working on a solution, but as more of the
chain supply houses go to the hub and spoke
type of intercompany delivery system that makes the "we will have it tommorow" a very common saying. and i know when i was a full time contractor that was a sentence i didnt want to hear.

Link Copied to Clipboard