ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#30153 10/06/03 09:23 PM
S
sparked Offline OP
Why are 30 amp single pole breakers sold in home stores? I can't think of any correct use for them, they usually end up replacing a 15A breaker fed with #14 wire [Linked Image]. Is there a legal use for them?

#30154 10/06/03 09:45 PM
J
I just installed one for a RV receptacle. Other than this one I don't think I've used one in 20 years.

#30155 10/06/03 10:08 PM
E
I've had the opportunity to use 30 amp single poles a few times. I think once was for a built in A/C + Heating unit (Think Motel style) and the other time was for a built in heater. So there are legit reasons for them, but I think you're right on when they get used the most. I've had many customers tell me they need me to put in a bigger breaker for them, thinking that's all you have to do.

#30156 10/06/03 10:19 PM
F
the 30 amp sp breaker there are few places i can use is : rv plug , 120v waterheater, somecase large 120v air commpresser unit and few other things requied 30 amp 120v but strictly commercal/ industrail useage item

merci, marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#30157 10/06/03 10:43 PM
C
I think the real question should be...Why do they sell any circuit breakers in home improvement stores?

Curt Swartz
#30158 10/06/03 11:23 PM
B
I hate to throw a wrench in the gears, but there’s some oddball stuff out there, like 1-pole 225-amp breakers [also 4-pole versions, too.] http://www.eatonelectrical.com/unsecure/cms1/DS29170F.PDF

1-pole 400A class-T pullout fuseholder with circuit-breaker dimensions—used in off-grid battery/inverter systems. http://www.boltswitch.com/131.JPG

{These are not FPE brand, although FPE did make 600-volt industrial molded-case and air-frame circuit breakers. They did not have the widely-publicized “no-trip” problem.}

#30159 10/07/03 06:10 AM
I
In the State I live (MA) a homeowner is allowed to do their own wiring, they are supposed to pull a permit and get inspections but that's another story.

Plumbing on the other hand in this state has no such leniency, you must be licensed to do plumbing work, go figure.

As a guy that does service calls I like that HD has a lot of electric supplies, some of these stores are open 24 hrs.

We needed thousands of feet or 12 and 14 awg on a Sunday repair call, stops at couple of these stores got us what we needed.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#30160 10/07/03 10:14 AM
P
I get through dozens of 30A (or 32A) single-pole breakers as they're very common in Britain. [Linked Image]

The big stores are handy for when a regular supplier runs out of something and the job needs to be done in a hurry. My regular wholesaler seems to run out of a certain size cable quite regularly at the moment, so the B&Q store (similar to HD, even down to the orange color scheme) just up the road sometimes comes to the rescue.

#30161 10/07/03 11:52 AM
S
IWIRE:

Recently I just found out about the permit process for electrical and plumbing work in New York City.

You have to be a licenced plumber or electrician in order to get a permit. The NYC Dept. of Buildings will not give permits to Joe Random, even if you know what you're doing.

Electrical work is defined as any work involving wires, repair to the wires or alteration in addition to new work and only is to be done by licenced electricians. This would technically include replacing a broken switch or outlet or hanging a new light fixture.

Ditto plumbing. Technically, changing a washer is OK. But changing a faucet or a part of the pipe is to be done by a licenced plumber. Early this year we put in a new bathroom sink (don't ask why [Linked Image] ). That sort of job would technically have to be done by a licenced plumber.

You also have to post a copy of the permit in a visible location if your work requires a permit (eg. renovation, new construction, etc.)

This doesn't stop people from doing their own work...at their own risk -- and you can certainly buy the supplies from anyplace (wire, breakers, plumbing supplies, etc.).

Two stores (a pizzeria and a bakery) up the street from me were recently gutted and renovated.

There were no permits visible. They would normally have to be placed in the window.

An old movie theatre down the street is also being renovated. They've been doing the work for almost two or three years now. No permits are visible. Occasionally you see things being done there late at night or on the weekends.

Frankly, I wonder how licenced contractors stay in business when you've got all of this stuff going on....

Following is my opinion on all this:

Yes, there are capable DIYers and they should be allowed to get permits if they show knowledge of what they are doing.

Maybe DIY installations would be better quality if they know that it has to be inspected.

But then again, the capable DIY will do it properly no matter what, and the cheap-skates will not care becasue they won't pay the permit fee anyway. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 10-07-2003).]

#30162 10/07/03 08:06 PM
S
sparked Offline OP
So there are legit uses them. Small water heaters, ac units, etc. All the ones I've seen are used when "upgrading" an existing breaker. Thanks for all your replies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard