Went on a repair and the customer said he got a shock off the shower fixture. I tested to see if the water pipe for it was grounded and was getting weird ohm readings. Found later that someone replaced part of the water pipe in the attic with a PVC type which isolated half the water pipe from ground. I ran a #4 ground wire to connect them which grounded it. But not sure where the voltage was getting picked up in it before. Maybe through inductance from wires crossing over it? The customer said he got a good shock off it when he touched the shower head and the metal edge on the shower door. (The shower door edge was not tied to ground at all). Kinda strange. Now that the shower water pipe is grounded there should be no way it can become energized. Any opinions on what might have happened and whether its completely safe now?
The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
Were there any cables running near and parallel to the pipes in question? If so, then the shocks could have been a result of capacitive coupling. It wouldn't take a lot of capacitance to result in a noticeable tingle to somebody standing wet in the cubicle.
Re: Shock from shower fixture#27443 07/16/0306:17 AM07/16/0306:17 AM
About 2 years ago a local man was killed in his shower. The culprit was the shower rod, which had long screws anchoring it, and one of those screws had pierced a cable and was energized. Maybe you should take a reading between the shower door and the cold water/drain pipes.
Re: Shock from shower fixture#27444 07/16/0307:55 AM07/16/0307:55 AM
I've received a shock from a tub faucet caused by shorted well pump, and this was after the metal pipe had run through the ground several hundred feet and was bonded. So I no longer trust that grounding a pipe will stop the current from being felt.
Re: Shock from shower fixture#27449 07/17/0302:34 PM07/17/0302:34 PM