ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Z
Just came back from my best friends new double wide home that was just put on the slab today. I am going to do the new service for him,underground. So we go to the laundry room ,where the panel is,and say to my friend, I thougth you are getting a 200a panel.He said yes. Well H*** the cover looks like a 100a.! So I open the cover door and I was dumb founded. There before me is a Siemens 16/32 MB panelboard 200a, loaded up, with only two spaces left!, and with piggyback breakers too boot! Now mind you, I need a well,garage power, and who knows what else. Amazing isn't it.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
P
Zapped

Off the top of my head, I thought that 'piggyback' breakers were not permitted in new installations.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
L
LOL, and what do you think of those quick-connectors to tie in the other side of the double wide? Most leave the things hanging out exposed to god knows what under the trailer.Or at best, screw a piece of plywood over them. No j-box needed there.
oh yeah, and gotta love the "old work" style switch/plug boxes they use. with the easy screw on wings that grab sheetrock, which deteriorates in 5 years.ugh, I could go on about these trailers, but I will stop here. [Linked Image]

Z
PCB,- the panelboard is listed for the use of "piggyback" breakers. Also has the "V" notch in the bus bars.

J
How would you feel about the same situation in a new $300k single family house? Unfortunetly this happens way too often.

How much extra would it have cost to install a 200A 40 ckt. panel? The cost may have been ofset by the cheaper cost of a single pole instead of the tandems.

G
zapped208 ---

So you add a subpanel using the 2 empty spaces.

Yes, a 40 circuit panel is more convient for you, but both are too code.

E
It looks like you might want to put in a meter base/ disconnect with the extra spaces in it. Then you can get the well and garage and still have extra spaces.

G
We bring the service into alot of new modulars. They are very popular in our area.

They scare the hell out of me too. We had one once, wire was nailed into on the door frame it electrified the aluminum storm door. Luckily it was discovered before anyone got hurt. Why the wire was anywhere near the door opening is anyones guess. We did not do the repair....the set-up crew repaired it under warranty.

GJ

G
BTW,
There are several modular manufacturers in this area and they all use the Siemens panel with the "piggyback" breakers. It's seems to be pretty much standard issue and I've never known an inspector to question it.

GJ

Z
Thanks guys for your replies. The mobile home co. made all the inter connections. All I have to do is power, tv, and phone. Eagle.- I will probably take the garage power from the outside Mobile home disconnect/panel.

Link Copied to Clipboard