ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
aldav53 Offline OP
Bidding a job to upgrade a all aluminum wire home. Any suggestions on what kind of connecters to pigtail all the outlets and switches? I checked with my supply house and they had those purple wire nuts with no-lox in them for $1.79 each. Is there a better way to go?
Thanks for any input,

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
E
The wire nuts with Noalox in in them is the best way I no of. You should be able to find a better price than $1.79 ea. [Linked Image] Are you sure that wasn't for a pack of 8 or 10? I know you can buy them in a larger container.

E
This doesn't sound like much of an upgrade. Changing the devices and leaving the wiring is just a bandaid approach. I wouldn't touch this one unless they were willing to go with new wiring.

E
The only ones i know is the wire nut that is from IDEAL and is about $3.80 for two @ Home Depot. I usually charge about $20-25 per device if it is aluminum wiring.

Edward

Thanks
Edward
S
Be careful with the purple wire nuts. The CPSC considers them to be for tempory use only. They have a bad habit of heating up and burning. AMP corp. makes a crimp on connector that can't be beat, however, you must buy the rights to your area and lease the crimp tool from them. Also, they are the only soarce for the connectors. I won't touch an AL. job unless it's a total rewire.
Richard

There's some info from CPSC in one of the Safety areas here: https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000428.html

Bill

Bill
A
aldav53 Offline OP
Electricmanscott,

I can't see replacing the whole wiring system. I don't see any problem with the aluminum wire runs itself, the problem is at the connections. Getting the right connection with copper wire should take care of the problem.. Am I wrong?

R
I have used the Purple wire nuts and feel comfortable with them. Read the instructions carefully, and be prepared to encounter broken wires. The job could easily escalate.

A
aldav53 Offline OP
Since it is not legal to make splices in the panel, then nothing is done to change the aluminum connections at the breakers.. correct?

J
Most breakers I have seen are listed for use with AL or copper wires.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard