ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Greetings fellow tool-nuts!

The other day I saw a pair of Klein BX Cutters made specifically for cutting & reshaping BX/AC armor, and am wondering if any of you have used them and if it is even worth purchasing. Any advice would be appreciated! (Seems like nowadays there's a tool for every single function in the electrical trade...)

M
That tool has been around for many years, and yes it is very handy for BX cable. I would not use it for MC cable.

L
Ah! I believe it is called a "Roto-Strip". Comes in a few sizes and cutter wheels are replacable. Use on BX and greenfield. Big time saver if your doing a job with BX.

Len

G
one of the tools i require my people to have. no more hacksaw or dike cuts. makes things look more like a "pro" did it. [Linked Image]
and really keeps insulation damage to an absolute minimum ("0")

[Linked Image]
gramps

S
Why is it not a good idea to cut MC with a RotoStrip? Is the green earth conductor prone to getting cut when you use this tool?

C
CRW Offline
I think we are talking about 2 different tools in this thread. I'm thinking the first post is about the "All Purpose Shears and BX Cutter." (see pic)
[Linked Image from klein.sgsnet.com]

But some people are talking about the Roto-Split
[Linked Image from seatekco.com]

Why wouldn't you either of these tools to strip MC cable. I've used both to cut AC, MC and FMC, and they both work well. I use the Roto-Split the most for MC cable, it's quick and does a great job.

Z
The Roto-Split is the best! I've had mine about 16 yaers, and still going strong.But i always look at the klein bx cutter at Home Depot, but can't seem to part with the 20 dollars.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
J
The roto-zip is the cats' meow for MC! The other cutters are usefull for the larger sizes of flex, seal-tite, etc- and they cut metal banding as well as avaition snips.

I wouldn't cut BX or MC without a Roto-Split.
I've seen some "Old Timers" who would say, "Who needs a Roto-Split!" I think they are a great tool, and well worth 20 bucks or more.

Regards,
Greg

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
The Klein cutters make a great pair of scissors, tin snips, etc.....but they aren't to be used on AC or MC cable.
(I got this info from the manufacturer.)
Get a Roto-Split, by Seatek (sp?), not the Greenlee flex-splitter. You'll be glad you did...S

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard