ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
VDE 0100 to introduce AFCIs
by sparky. 01/19/18 08:03 PM
MRI LED lights dimmer control replacement - wow!
by HotLine1. 01/19/18 06:19 PM
Video: Inventor of the GFCI self-testing shocks
by Bill Addiss. 01/17/18 11:11 PM
FPE in Germany
by HotLine1. 01/17/18 07:07 PM
Fujifilm Recalls Power Adapter Wall Plugs
by Admin. 01/16/18 07:04 PM
New in the Gallery:
Housebilding DIY wiring
SE cable question
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 20 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Need help rewiring 220 Motor to 110 #22603
02/25/03 08:06 PM
02/25/03 08:06 PM
D
Dave440  Offline OP
Junior Member
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 2
Florida
Hi...hope I'm in the right place here.

I'm trying to use an old wall type A/C fan
motor/dual squirrel cage as an exhaust fan to evacuate mist out of my homemade paint booth.

The motor says 208/230 on it and has 6 wires coming out of it. Can it be rewired for 110v
or just connected to 110 as is? Will it run half speed? Will it start up or work at all?

Any help would be appreciated.

Wiring is as follows...
White neutral
Black hot
Green- unused and capped off
(speed control? / voltage?)
Red - unused and capped off
(speed control? / voltage?)
Brown- to capacitor mounted on motor
Red - to capacitor mounted on motor.

[Linked Image]

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Re: Need help rewiring 220 Motor to 110 #22604
02/25/03 08:32 PM
02/25/03 08:32 PM
E
Electric Eagle  Offline
Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 914
Alpharetta, GA
The answer is probably not/maybe, but I would never attempt to try to do it over a message board. Also, this paint booth is a hazardous condition under NEC rules and all the electrical items in the area need to be wired/connected accordingly. This could be very dangerous if proper safety measures aren't used. Be carefull or hire a person familiar with harzardous conditions.

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 02-25-2003).]

Re: Need help rewiring 220 Motor to 110 #22605
02/25/03 08:56 PM
02/25/03 08:56 PM
W
WebSparky  Offline
Member
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 138
Cleveland, Ohio
Dave440,

[Linked Image]

PLEASE do not use this blower!

Paint fumes are very explosive.

The motor is in the air flow and that means all of the fumes will pass right through the motor and windings. Motors are constantly creating sparks! BOOM!

Please reconsider.

Dave


Dave
Re: Need help rewiring 220 Motor to 110 #22606
02/25/03 10:33 PM
02/25/03 10:33 PM
F
frenchelectrican  Offline
Member
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 939
Wi/ Paris France { France for ...
dave 440 ;

i will give you a quick warning DO NOT USE this motour for spray booth appcation due staic spark and hardzous loctaion area!!

my brother in law have spray booth and he use the axle type fan the motour is located outside of ductwork with enclosed belt tunnel and aluminume fan blade ( sparkproof type ) and i really recomond to check on the spray booth manfactuers they do make spray booth in many diffrent size to use it and play it safe and look up in nec sec 500 if i recall it (based on 99 code) and by the way if fire inspecter see your spray booth he will check it very and i mean very carefull. in my area i see few home made spraybooth and fire inspecter warn few of them to change to right kind due hazard everment.

i can debate more but i just want to make a bold point about the safty here and the motour you show the picture that will not even allow in the evemont myself i allready see one exploaded few years back

merci marc


Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Re: Need help rewiring 220 Motor to 110 #22607
02/26/03 02:52 AM
02/26/03 02:52 AM
D
Dave440  Offline OP
Junior Member
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 2
Florida
Thanks for the input all. I certainly dont
want to go boom! If you really think this wont fly (i dont want it flying into orbit for sure..)I wont do it. Let me give you a better idea of what it all looks like in theory. PIC BELOW.

First of all ...use. This will be to paint a car i've been restoring. I already used the tent one time...but it got too misty in there and i already cough just from opening the paint can...even with a respirator on...so i'd like to vent it as best i can...
and also bring some fresh air in. Construction is PVC pipe with 4mil plastic to enclose it. I'll also be shooting with an HVLP gun this time...so mist should be less
and the reducer will mainly in the paint on the car and not in the air as much as with a conventional gun...but vapors will still build up if the tent isnt vented.

The motor wont be in the air flow. The entire fan unit will be outside the tent.
The squirrel cages are split in the middle and pull air from both sides of the fan enclosures. (outside where the pickup will be for the tent) and from the motor sides which will be in fresh air outside the tent
so there will be air to dilute the vapors that are pulled out by the fan units. From what i can surmise....the only mist or fumes will be traveling into a carbon filter, through the pvc pipes and into the squirrel cages then out the fan units to be dispersed in the air.

The reason i thought it would be ok to use this motor/cage setup is bcus it had previously been in the wall unit which was in the garage. I was thinking that given the fact that people store gas cans,lawn mowers,cars...etc in their garage that the fan unit would've been designed to resist
igniting such fumes via the motor or cages.
YES it was inside the metal wall housing...but that was not airtight and hardly fume proof.

Everything appears to be made of stamped steel. Is static electricity a real concern
given the fact it was designed for use in an indoor garage environment as i described above?

Given the whole story now...and the fact that this will be an outdoor deal with the motor exposed to fresh air...what do you all think? I dont want you to tell me what you think i want to hear... I want the truth.
Is it still a no no...and should i just vent the tent as best as possible without any motors or fans?

Also....what do you all think about the box fan to either pull air out...or push it in? I believe it is a magnetic motor type with no brushes...but i'll check first to make sure.

I'm obviously a Wile E Coyote....Super Genius type...always trying to come up with new do it yourself ideas....BUT I DONT WANT TO BLOW UP LIKE HE DOES ALL THE TIME. ---

Let me know for sure what to do OR NOT
here and I'll heed the advice.

Thanks again.

[Linked Image]

Re: Need help rewiring 220 Motor to 110 #22608
02/26/03 07:33 AM
02/26/03 07:33 AM
R
Redsy  Offline
Member
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,056
Bucks County PA
No.

Re: Need help rewiring 220 Motor to 110 #22609
02/26/03 01:15 PM
02/26/03 01:15 PM
M
mjelliott  Offline
Junior Member
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 9
Ventura, California, USA
I wouldn't do if I were you!!!


Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

 

Member Spotlight
The_Lightman
The_Lightman
Orlando, Fl, USA
Posts: 49
Joined: August 2001
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Admin 20
sparky 15
Potseal 14
Popular Topics(Views)
243,554 Are you busy
180,361 Re: Forum
170,838 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1
(Release build 20180101)
Page Time: 0.027s Queries: 14 (0.005s) Memory: 0.9864 MB (Peak: 1.1385 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-01-20 01:06:16 UTC