ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Top Posters(30 Days)
Potseal 11
Recent Posts
Dimmable LED 2x4 lay in fixtures
by HotLine1. 04/24/17 05:43 PM
Old decora style outlets
by Lostazhell. 04/22/17 07:59 PM
Permit Snafus...AHJs and Contractors Jump in
by gfretwell. 04/22/17 01:11 PM
How do you find a good employee?
by HotLine1. 04/22/17 10:44 AM
Electrode boilers question
by SteveFehr. 04/21/17 08:32 AM
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Popular Topics(Views)
234,690 Are you busy
169,424 Re: Forum
162,740 Need opinion
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#22545 - 02/24/03 06:16 PM Help With Overhead Temp. Feed  
iwire  Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,391
North Attleboro, MA USA
In a few days I have to do some work I am not familiar with.

I have to run a Temp 480 Volt 200 Amp (no neutral) feed between two wood poles (typical telephone poles).

1) What is the name of the wedge like clamp that grabs the messenger cable and who makes them?

2) What is the name of the cable is it called triplex? I need 3 hots and messenger/ground.

3) What ampacity table would I use for this?

Any help would be appreciated


Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

#22546 - 02/24/03 06:25 PM Re: Help With Overhead Temp. Feed  
sparky  Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 5,306
1) a deadman is the slang, which my supplier seems to be ok with
2)Quadriplex ,areial rated w/ messenger. now i think what constitutes a 'messenger' is a strand or two of ASCR
3)T310.20 , for NEC, the poco may differ if this is service entrance per se'

#22547 - 02/24/03 11:35 PM Re: Help With Overhead Temp. Feed  
The Watt Doctor  Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 435
Mont Belvieu, TX
1. Some people call them "wedge clamps", or "strain hangers". I've only used them from one manufacturer. The name is "Blackburn".
2. Some advice on cutting quadraplex....don't use your side cutters. There is a hard drawn steel strand in the messenger, and unless you are using 2000 series Kleins, it will ruin your pliers.
3. I agree with Sparky on 310.20.
4. You'll also notice that the insulated conductors have "ribs" on them. The "ribs" are for identification purposes.


The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX

#22548 - 02/24/03 11:47 PM Re: Help With Overhead Temp. Feed  
frenchelectrican  Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 939
Wi/ Paris France { France for ...
ok here is my answer for the temp service :
1) i use it call wedge clamp it make by blackburn compaine it is very common item almost all electral supply centre will have them

2) quadplex BUT one warning for all acsr cables do not use ornaly side cutters it will wreck them in hurry i use specal cutter for ascr simuair to bolt cutter but specical modifation to it and the ascr will be pretty good size steel wire duplex, triplex,and quadplex have them so watch out

3) see nec 310.20 but check poco first

4) tri and quadplex do have rib for identifcation ( you can feel it )

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#22549 - 02/26/03 06:45 PM Re: Help With Overhead Temp. Feed  
iwire  Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,391
North Attleboro, MA USA
sparky, The Watt Doctor and frenchelectrican

Thank you all for the help the job is done.

You all mentioned the POCO but they were not involved so I looked at 310.20 but ended up going with 4/0 AL as I was adding more length to a long run done in 2/0 AL


Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician

Member Spotlight
Posts: 3,439
Joined: October 2000
Show All Member Profiles 

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.016s Queries: 14 (0.003s) Memory: 0.7685 MB (Peak: 0.9073 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-04-25 20:19:34 UTC