Static Electricity is a problem in certain areas, and around certain equipment.
I would like to hear of your experiences related to this subject.
FPN: For further information on protection against static electricity and lightning hazards in hazardous (classified) locations, see NFPA 77-2000, Recommended Practice on Static Electricity; NFPA 780-1997, Standard for the Installation of Lightning Protection Systems; and API RP 2003-1998, Protection Against Ignitions Arising Out of Static Lightning and Stray Currents.
FPN: For information on grounding for static protection, see 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 of NFPA 30-2000, Flammable and Combustible Liquids Code.
The handle of the spraying gun shall be electrically connected to ground by a metallic connection and be constructed so that the operator in normal operating position is in intimate electrical contact with the grounded handle to prevent buildup of a static charge on the operator’s body.
Signs indicating the necessity for grounding other persons entering the spray area shall be conspicuously posted.
I got called to a super market because they had a cash register that the PC for was locking up. The contractor that handles the data work had determined it was an electrical problem. When I met the technician he said the power was going "out". When I showed him there was a Small plug in type UPS in line with his PC he did not know what to say.
Now he called his office and they told him to check for grounding, It turns out that a ground strap was missing going to the cash drawer from the PC and when people touched the drawer the static charge caused the PC to lock up and need rebooting.
I'll add the cash drawer did not have any line voltage in it, only control power from PC that's why it was not grounded already. Bob
Bob Badger Construction & Maintenance Electrician Massachusetts
My biggest problem with static electricity is when the the doctor comes near me with a stethascope (SP?)and when he touches me, BANG. The staic discharges to me. I jump a foot and the Doc can't figure out why. I tell him that I was an electrician and any shock makes me jump first and asak questions later.
I stayed at a hotel in a Boston suburb (Westford) two weekends ago. VERY cold and DRY!
After taking off my jacket and walking across the (carpeted) floor of the room I went to turn on the radio.
When my finger fumbled for the bandswitch to turn the radio from FM to AM (I wanted to listen to WRKO) I felt a zap and the clock on the radio started flashing 12:00 - 12:00 -12:00.
I just reset the clock....but good thing I didn't fry the hotel's clock-radio!!! First time I had ever had that happen iwth static electricity. I've heard of static discharges frying computer equipment and other microchip based stuff.
At work I'm constantly getting zapped from the low-voltage switches used to release the magnetic locks on the doors to the various floors in my company's offices. They are metal push buttons mounted on stainless steel plates. Either that or the elevator buttons which are also metal....or even doorknobs.
I wonder if walking around with a little grounding strap attached to my shoe would work. But those are expensive.