ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#22160 02/19/03 07:09 AM
R
Just completed reading some papers sent to me from NYC. It indicates that after 30 years of having their own code, NYC in Dec. 2002 approved the 1999 NEC with extensive modifications. The info received documents extensive lobbying by manufacturers AWA the nfpa to get the nec approved. It appears that there are legal actions contemplated by some EC's in the NYC area.
Is there a NY EC on the forum who could add info and comment?
Rowdy

#22161 02/19/03 10:32 AM
T

#22162 02/19/03 10:43 AM
R
Ron Offline
I am very glad that the NYC Dept of Buildings has made the change to amending the NEC. It was always a nightmare to do work in and out of NYC, because you had to recall code references from completely different documents.
I think the NYC electrical code had been different in the past, to make it unfairly more difficult for outside electrcians and engineers (of course duly cerified where required) to compete for work within NYC. The previous versions of the NYC electrical code had similarities to the NEC anyway, and is poorly written code (not updated regularly) made it easier for the inspectors to red tag installations.

Ron
#22163 02/19/03 10:57 AM
S
I notice the amendments still require the use of MC, AC or "MI" cable, metallic conduit or metallic raceways for "all new or additional wiring."

That's a good thing (TM). I've never liked that plastic Romex stuff....

What is type "MI" cable?

#22164 02/19/03 11:27 AM
R
Ron Offline
SvenNYC,
Could you share the amendment in context, that eliminates the use of NM for residential work? I was not able to find it in the amendments.
MI cable is "mineral insulated" Article 332 in the NEC 2002 code.

[This message has been edited by Ron (edited 02-19-2003).]

Ron
#22165 02/19/03 12:40 PM
S
Hi Ron,

I looked here:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/pdf/elamend.pdf

and it was close to the top of "page 5".

it says the following - verbatim:

(1) Circuit Wiring. All new or additional circuit wiring shall be installed in accordance with one of the following wiring methods in Chapter 3 of this Code: Type AC cable, Type MC cable, Type MI cable, metallic conduit or metallic wireway.

Also start from the bottom of page 4 where it says:
===========================================

"210-52 Add new 210-52 (i) and (j) to read as follows:

=============================================

Top of page 5:

(i) Outlet Requirements for Residential-Type Occupancies. In addition to the requirements set forth in subsections (a) through (h) of this section, living rooms, bedrooms and dining rooms shall have at least one receptacle outlet installed for air conditioners. Such outlets shall be supplied by an individual appliance branch circuit.

Exception: Buildings with central air conditioning systems that serve any of the above areas shall not require separate outlets in those areas.

(j) Oil Burners and Similar Equipment. Each oil burner, automatic stoker, or gas furnace shall be supplied by a dedicated branch circuit.

(1) Circuit Wiring. All new or additional circuit wiring shal be installed in accordance with one of the following wiring methods in Chapter 3 of this Code: Type AC cable, Type MC cable, Type MI cable, metallic conduit or metallic wireway.

============================================

I took this to mean that the New York City code always specified the use of metallic clad cables for permanent wiring -- since that's all I've seen in both new residential construction and also old residential work here in the City.

The old work I've seen has type BX (with the aluminium bonding wire and no earth conductor)

I've only seen NM used for festoon lighting and temporary hookups in construction sites.

Please keep in mind I don't have a copy of the Code and also I'm not an electrician, so I don't know the specifics. If I read this wrong, by all means please let me know. [Linked Image]

I took it to mean that the use of metallic clad cables for in-wall wiring are still mandatory in the City.

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 02-19-2003).]

#22166 02/19/03 01:29 PM
R
Ron Offline
SvenNYC,
I have read 'em wrong in the past, so it might not be the last time, but, the way I read that portion of the ammendment [210-52(j)(1)] only applies to [210-52(j)] for oil burners. There does not seem to be a similar reference for other outlets, light lighting and general purpose receptacles.

Ron

Link Copied to Clipboard