ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Top Posters(30 Days)
Potseal 11
Recent Posts
1913 American Electrician's Handbook
by gfretwell. 07/20/17 01:08 PM
600 KW 120/208 3 Phase Y protection
by gfretwell. 07/20/17 01:02 PM
Green House wiring
by ghost307. 07/20/17 09:10 AM
Permit Snafus...AHJs and Contractors Jump in
by HotLine1. 07/18/17 08:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Popular Topics(Views)
239,170 Are you busy
174,560 Re: Forum
166,994 Need opinion
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 51 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#214590 - 12/23/14 07:52 PM Saved from Electrocution! (Video)  
renosteinke  Offline
Cat Servant
Member
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,316
Blue Collar Country


Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

#214632 - 12/29/14 01:59 PM Re: Saved from Electrocution! (Video) [Re: renosteinke]  
LEO_304E  Offline
Member
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 17
MASSACHUSETTS


He did a great job bringing his buddy back to life. thumbs


#214634 - 12/29/14 03:11 PM Re: Saved from Electrocution! (Video) [Re: renosteinke]  
gfretwell  Offline


Member
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,099
Estero,Fl,usa
I was afraid I was going to see one of those today.
Asplundh was trimming trees along the lines today and I saw the guy in the bucket backing straight into a 26kv primary. I spoke up, he ducked down in the bucket and passed about 2 feet under the primary.
If he remained standing up. it would have hit his hard hat or the back of his neck.
He stopped once he was clear and shook for a minute or two, then went back to cutting but he took another route to that limb.

They do have a pretty cool hydraulic chain saw they use. You only hear the chain running. Most people might not even know they were out there until they crank up the mulcher.


Greg Fretwell

#214639 - 12/30/14 12:18 PM Re: Saved from Electrocution! (Video) [Re: renosteinke]  
renosteinke  Offline
Cat Servant
Member
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,316
Blue Collar Country
I was beginning to worry whether anyone cared about this video!

I don't recommend the specific resuscitation techniques used - my, how the little guy flung his buddy around! - but it looks like the story had a happy ending.

I fear that OSHA will see this video, and require a 'dipping pool' be set up wherever live work is performed laugh

Since I don't expect Yahoo to archive the above link, I have tracked down the original Indian newscast for our uses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5WiGFIUH2A

In English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovw6KPPNM8I


#214640 - 12/31/14 02:38 PM Re: Saved from Electrocution! (Video) [Re: renosteinke]  
sedesigner1  Offline
Member
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 22
NJ
Greg, unfortunately, I had a friend who was electrocuted. I wasn't there and don't know how it happened, but I understand it was a 13kv line. He lived for 9 months, in a nursing home, before he passed away from an infection. I visited him once or twice a week to read to him until he died. It was the most heart breaking thing to see. Everyone here on the site, we all have occasion to work around dangerous equipment and voltages, please keep safe and have a safe and happy new year.
Greg Madjeski


#214641 - 12/31/14 03:47 PM Re: Saved from Electrocution! (Video) [Re: renosteinke]  
renosteinke  Offline
Cat Servant
Member
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,316
Blue Collar Country
One thing I HATE hen the topic of electrocution comes up is that everyone starts jabbering about "high voltages."

I witnessed am electrocution. I posted about it here, in a thread titled "Today I witnessed an electrocution," some years back. The victim had to be manhandled in a manner quite similar to the above monkey to remove him from the where he was, to where he could be revived. Ultimately, he was revived.

He was working on a 20-amp,120v circuit. He grabbed a 'hot' wire between forefinger and thumb; the current exited through his forehead, into a pipe he was pressed against by the cramped work space.

How do we know this? Afterwards, he developed a burn / scar tissue the size of a grain of rice on the finger and thumb. A dime-size blister developed later on his forehead.


#214642 - 12/31/14 05:51 PM Re: Saved from Electrocution! (Video) [Re: renosteinke]  
sedesigner1  Offline
Member
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 22
NJ
Renosteinke, you are correct. Even more so because people may tend to be a little less careful working on low voltages. I have one of my tools from my much younger days, it melted when I shorted out a 120V, 20A circuit. Your reminder is appreciated. Again, stay safe and have a happy new year.
Greg


#214647 - 12/31/14 10:29 PM Re: Saved from Electrocution! (Video) [Re: renosteinke]  
HotLine1  Offline


Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,853
Brick, NJ USA
Not to start anything gentlemen, but is not 'electrocution' a cause of death?? Electrocution is 'Final' is it not?

There is a difference between one receiving an electrical shock, causing seizure, burns, falls, etc., and someone being killed (terminal) by heart stoppage, or terminal burns.

Whatever; better to be safe!


John

#214650 - 01/01/15 01:01 AM Re: Saved from Electrocution! (Video) [Re: HotLine1]  
Trumpy  Offline


Member
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,217
SI,New Zealand
John (Hotline),
I agree with what you're saying, electrocution is a cause of death, it is used after the fact, where as electric shock is used in the present tense, ie: before death has occured.


Let's face it, these days if you're not young, you're old - Red Green grin

#214651 - 01/01/15 01:17 AM Re: Saved from Electrocution! (Video) [Re: renosteinke]  
Trumpy  Offline


Member
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,217
SI,New Zealand
Originally Posted by renosteinke
One thing I HATE hen the topic of electrocution comes up is that everyone starts jabbering about "high voltages."

I witnessed am electrocution. I posted about it here, in a thread titled "Today I witnessed an electrocution," some years back. The victim had to be manhandled in a manner quite similar to the above monkey to remove him from the where he was, to where he could be revived. Ultimately, he was revived.

He was working on a 20-amp,120v circuit. He grabbed a 'hot' wire between forefinger and thumb; the current exited through his forehead, into a pipe he was pressed against by the cramped work space.

How do we know this? Afterwards, he developed a burn / scar tissue the size of a grain of rice on the finger and thumb. A dime-size blister developed later on his forehead.

So, let me get this straight, Reno, who is at fault here, is it the person that created the confined area around that wiring or is it the guy that never bothered to lock out and tag out the supply to the circuit before he started work on it?
I'm struggling but I'd tend to think it was the latter guy and he is bloody lucky to be alive, getting any current pass through your brain, in any weather is just down-right dangerous and stupid.
It's not so much the direct path from the hand to the head in this case, it's the internal voltage gradients on the way through that tend to muck people up in a big way.
We are made of meat, we have a very low electrical resistance to any sort of current, caused by the water content of our bodies.
When any current (irregardless to a degree of voltage) passes through our bodies, the path it takes and how it affects the heart and brain is the difference between survival and ultimate death. frown


Let's face it, these days if you're not young, you're old - Red Green grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Member Spotlight
HCE727
HCE727
Delaware County, PA, USA
Posts: 186
Joined: November 2005
Show All Member Profiles 
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.017s Queries: 16 (0.003s) Memory: 0.8234 MB (Peak: 1.0061 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-07-21 00:48:44 UTC