ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Before I go search the net, does anyone know if they make a "mouse" with a scroll button, that will plug into a "serial" type port? I bought one from wall mart with the round plug, then I bought an adapter from "Amazon" that would convert it to a "serial" port, but it would not work. I think it may have something to do with the "laser" on the scroll type verses just the "roll type" on the older models. I have an older computer and the mouse is getting very frustrating trying to use. I use the older computer just for a certain program that only requires reading, and the scroll would be nice.. thanks... steve

G
No mouse port? how old is this computer?
This may not work on a serial port because a serial port does not supply 5vdc

Adding a USB card may be the easiest way if you do not have a mouse port.
What OS are you running?

Greg Fretwell
S
My existing mouse is plugged into a serial port, and it has the "roller type ball". It is a pretty old computer. I don't use it for anything except for 1 program basically. The 0S is windows XP. The program I have is not compatible with Vista, which is what I have on this computer. That's why I've not put it on this one... I'm sure you're right. I could have probably got one from my son before he took all his computer parts and monitors to "recycle heaven"
thanks..

Administrator
Sparky,

I've got 2 old Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1As, which people on the net say works with a serial adapter.

I may have used them that way myself, I can't remember... dunno

If you want to give them a try send me your address via email or PM and I'll mail them out to you Monday.

Bill

G
If you have a PC running XP, it has a PS/2 mouse port above the keyboard port. When you said "old" I was thinking W/95 or Windows 3.1
On a laptop the PS/2 port is "mouse" and the keyboard is on the spare pair. You need a "y" cable for the kbd.

Greg Fretwell
W
I still may be an old machine with no PS2 jack. This would be real evident if it has no USB jacks. If it has USB jacks with no PS2 (Common with late models)If it is truly a old machine with no PS2 jack, only a serial jack, a adapter will work you will have to use a driver for it (the mouse) as most serial stuff is not P&P. Might find some web site with mouse drivers, or may be able to go into the bios and point it to the serial port to make the mouse work. Robert

S
No PS2 port above the keyboard slot. There may have use to be one. ?? I don't know. The old computer has went through a lot of changes over the years. The only round slot is the one the keyboard is plugged into...

G
Amazing a machine that old would run XP.

Throw a USB card in it and use a USB mouse

Greg Fretwell
J
Have you gotten to the point where you can no longer take the ball out and clean it and the 2, 90 degree offset pins inside?
Joe

G
That won't make a scroll wheel appear tho wink

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard