ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hi,
I am thinking you can NOT splice the neutral to a main feed to a meter base but you CAN splice the neutral to a sub panel feed FROM the meter base (6 pack). 312.8 prohibits splices here if I am understanding this article.

The situation is a 6 pack meter base with six mains. One of the mains is feeding a sub panel. They have used Polaris connectors to splice the Neutral in the 6 pack meter base.

I was thinking this was not allowed but wanted to get some feedback.

One more thing, is it allowed to run a 4/0 EGC through a knockout/hole in the six pack to ground? I was thinking there should be a bushing there. (anything larger than #4).

Thank you for any responses.

Don't drive and TEXT! Drive now TALK LATER!
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
312.8 really doesn't talk about splices at all. This is saying you can't bring conductors through a cabinet containing O/C devices from other circuits ... unless there is room.

Greg Fretwell
T
EGCs REQUIRE bonded bushings at each 'choke' point/ metal barrier -- per code.

Size, for this run, has nothing to do with it; even a #8 would need bonding bushings.

=====

In my area, utility customers legally cede all assets on the line side of the Poco meter -- and, so, these elements have to meet Poco standards.

The typical Poco apartment oriented six-pack sends the neutral current through the meter ( 5 connection jaws ) making any connection ahead of the meter an absolute no go.

Your description is so thin that it's hard to comment upon.

Tesla
Hi,
Sorry for the confusion, let me try to explain a little better..

I am thinking you can NOT splice the neutral to a main feed to a meter base but you CAN splice the neutral to a sub panel feed FROM the meter base (6 pack).

312.8 prohibits splices here if I am understanding this article. I thought this covered "NOT A JUNCTION BOX"...maybe that's a different article.

The situation is a 6 pack meter base with six mains. One of the mains is feeding a sub panel. They have used Polaris connectors to splice the Neutral in the 6 pack meter base enclosure off one meter base to feed the sub panel...not ahead of the meter...this unit has bus bars and individual neutral connections for each meter base/disco..4 wires per disconnect.

I was thinking this was not allowed but wanted to get some feedback.

One more thing, is it allowed to run a 4/0 EGC through a knockout/hole in the six pack to ground? I was thinking there should be a bushing there. (anything larger than #4).

"When I run a #6 ground from a meter base I just use the factory provided hole which has no bushing and could be considered a "choke point". This is why I was asking because I thought there may be an exception. So They would need at a minimum a bushing such as a PVC male adapter with locknut and bushing?

Thank you for any responses.

Attached Images
electric 421.jpg
Last edited by akmaster; 07/31/12 09:50 PM. Reason: correction

G
This is the commentary in the handbook for 312.8

Most enclosures are intended to accommodate only those conductors connected to terminals for switches or overcurrent devices within the enclosures themselves. Where adequate space is provided for additional conductors, such as control circuits, the total conductor fill in the enclosure may not exceed 40 percent of the cross section of the wiring space in the enclosure and no more than 75 percent if splices or taps are necessary.

It appears they are more interested in wire fill than splices. They don't want unrelated wiring junking up the cabinet ... unless there is room.

... unless adequate space for this purpose is provided. 312.8

Splices do not have a fill count.

Greg Fretwell
G
There looks like plenty of room in that picture, you would pass in my patch.

Greg Fretwell
T
It is entirely against code to use anything less than a BONDING BUSHING -- typically provided with LAY-IN LUGS/ LAZY LUGS for the GEC...

IF the GEC is entering a 'choke'...

At the extreme limit, even the face of a metallic can induces a choking effect on fault current jolts heading down a GEC.

Yet, most inspectors will not insist on a bonding bushing if the entire remainder of the path is choke free -- i.e. is non-ferrous -- either bare #6 solid or #8 on up with in PVC...

If the GEC is metal clad solid #6 then bonding bushings -- listed for the purpose must be used at each end.

From your post I can't determine if the six pack is pad mounted or is surface mounted above grade.

Your thinking WRT wire size is conflating two issues: #4 on up need bushings at all points in the field wiring/ your efforts...

The GEC needs bonding bushings based upon whether it's passing through a ferrous choke - - which covers the entire range of GECs #8 through 3/0.

Pad mounted Services typically have GECs up toward 3/0 -- in the pad's pour -- brought up to a grounding rail at the base of the Service -- on the customer's side of the Service. In such cases, no box exit exists and no further ado is made: the 3/0 is bent into a mechanical lug on the rail and torqued down.

Bare #6 - SOLID - is permitted to pass out of a can and on down to a grounding rod, or two, without further protection. ( mechanically )

I expect that this will be reversed shortly because of the, now massive, loss of GECs all over the nation to meth heads. It's a problem that's not going away. Further, I believe that these drug addled minds will soon find out that any PVC headed down out of a panel = free, safe, stealable copper.

This last situation is now running riot through urban Poco public loads such as street lighting.

Tesla
G
If there is no metallic raceway, what would the bonding bushing bond?

Greg Fretwell
Hi,
Thanks for the clarifications. This panel is mounted above ground and the poco feed is coming in via Liquid Tight Flex with bonding bushings that the 4/0 connects to. it enters the 6 pack through a 1/2" hole under the enclosure.

myself I usually leave about 6" of exposed ground then go through a section of pvc then out to ground rod..this allows a place for others to connect to the ground...cable, phone etc..

I will see if I can add photo to clarify this since it the other question has been settled.

Thanks

Attached Images
electric 414.jpg
Last edited by akmaster; 08/01/12 01:23 PM.

Here is a view of the complete installation..

Attached Images
electric 429.jpg
Last edited by akmaster; 08/01/12 01:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard