ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#20577 01/16/03 05:17 PM
S
spyder Offline OP
What do floor guys in your area do to get power to run their sanders? Its pretty frightening what I have come across here. I have seen extension cords with alligator clips directly to busbars or cords wired directly to a DP60 Amp breaker. The one I saw today, I am hoping I can get a pic of tommorrow. It had a piece of 6/3 romex going to a 4 11/16 box with two 3 wire range blocks coming out of that, it also had a 30 amp twist lock pigtail, and a hand box with a duplex recptacle. I was to scared to see what he had going on in the panel. I had a conversation with the GC, so I am hoping I will not see it tommorrow......yikes

#20578 01/16/03 09:52 PM
J
The few I have seen had assorted adapters made up so they could plug into dryer or stove outlets.

#20579 01/16/03 10:22 PM
I
spyder, same as you describe, the alligator clips to "Whatever Works" method [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#20580 01/16/03 10:49 PM
D
Repeat cust. called;oven etc. doesn't work,can I get there(20 odd mi.one way)?they have some hoity gathering blah...So out I go, they are nice folks,and what do you know ,the floor-ons had moved one leg of duplex to m/t single breaker throwing off several circuits.As easy on the bill as I was(didn't mention it was a Sat.)I advised he hit up the floor guys for it.

#20581 01/16/03 11:16 PM
C
Spyder, are you reading my mind? I was going to post something on this subject tonight myself. I have had problems for years with the hardwood floor contractors. Most of them used to have adapters that plugged into the dryer receptacle but then we changed to the 4-wire receptacle so they had to find another way to power their 240V sanders. I have had them strip out the main lugs on load centers trying to connect their pigtails, burn up breaker stabs with the alligator clips and disconnect my circuits to use the breakers. Today I showed up at a project to find the temp. panel door open and the dead front off and apparently it has been this way for a week. The floor contractor was not willing to spend the money for a L6-30 plug to connect to the temp service receptacle so he took the panel apart and left it apart. This was in the front yard of a non fenced site. What if some kid came by and stuck his finger in to the buss? I have complained to the general contractors many times but they don't seem to care. I guess its going to take someone getting hurt or property damage before they listen. I have thought about calling Cal-OSHA but they would probably site every other trade on the project for petty things and the floor contractor would be sick that day.

Curt

Curt Swartz
#20582 01/16/03 11:51 PM
[Linked Image]

Yup! [Linked Image] I just happen to have a picture of this. This was at an $800k 'Fixer-Upper' that was undergoing a major facelift (cosmetic only though). The Floor Sanding guy actually helped find a problem here. That is his Yellow cord there. He was complaining that everything was going dim. It turned out to have a bad Neutral connection at the transformer and twice as much current was returning via the waterpipe.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 01-16-2003).]

Bill
#20583 01/17/03 06:16 AM
Oh my gawsh, it's a Stab-lok. [Linked Image]
If this place is worth $800K, or even $8K, it sure would be worthwhile to replace that load center...S
(Floor guys do the same kind of junk here, it's almost as if they've got a contest running with the welders for the "stupidest connections")

#20584 01/17/03 07:20 AM
I
derater
"Floor-ons" Thats perfect!

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#20585 01/17/03 01:27 PM
S
So then...how do you connect arc welders to an electrical supply when you're ... say installing a window grating or a gate?

I used a floor sander once. It was an orbital sander for using on parquet floors, designed to be used on 110-volts 15 amps (equipped with a Nema 5-15 cap).

At a metal-works shop I was in, the skinflint owner was using arc welders connected to one of these Frankenstein switches (see here):

[Linked Image from ceiec-fj.com]

mounted on a wood pattress. To the switch terminals (unfused, mind you) he had connected short jumpers to normal iron nails that were driven into the pattress.

When you wanted to use the arc welder, you would hook the conductors (single 12-gauge wire for raceways) over the nails! [Linked Image]

This was back in 1986 (I was 11) in my grandmother's house in Colombia - she had rented the place out to his wife and he set up the thing in the courtyard (something she never gave him explicit permission to do, but since they were paying the rent she was OK with it).

She's since evicted the guy and had the place properly rewired.

He had practically torn the place apart - the old in-wall wiring was replaced by 18-AWG lamp-cord stapled to the adobe walls, wired into porcelain barn receptacles and surface-mount toggle switches and lampholders dangling from the ceilings.

This type of wiring practice is rather common in old houses down there, unfortunately.

People want to do it as cheaply as possible instead of paying a licenced pro to fish new wire through the conduit (solid masonry walls) or - if adding a cirucuit - rip trench, lay pipes and boxes and fish wire. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 01-17-2003).]

#20586 01/17/03 01:30 PM
T
HELP!
European floor sanders I've seen take 1800W and are plugged into a standard 230V/10 or 16A receptacle! How much power US floor sanders draw? Reading this I assume they run on 240V.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard