ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Old Wiring UL Report and Pictures

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

NFPA® 73
Standard for
Electrical Inspections for
Existing Dwellings

NFPA® 73
Standard for
Electrical Inspections for Existing Dwellings
2011 Edition

This edition of NFPA73, Standard for Electrical Inspections for Existing Dwellings, was prepared
by the Technical Committee on Electrical Systems Maintenance and released by the National
Electrical Code Technical Correlating Committee. It was issued by the Standards Council on
June 1, 2010, with an effective date of June 21, 2010, and supersedes all previous editions.

This edition of NFPA73 was approved as an American National Standard on June 21, 2010.

Origin and Development of NFPA 73

NFPA began the development of NFPA 73, Electrical Inspection Code for Existing Dwellings, in
1990. The original document was developed as a result of the united efforts of various insurance,
electrical, construction, inspection, utility, and other allied interests.

The document was initiated in response to data obtained from studies conducted on older
homes by NFPA, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), the Consumer
Product Safety Commission (CPSC), and other groups involved with fire investigations. The
studies clearly indicated that fires and other hazards attributed to electrical causes would be
significantly reduced if electrical systems were installed and maintained in accordance with
the NFPA 70, National Electrical Code (NEC).

The fact that only 5 percent of fires occurred in dwellings under 10 years of age is reported
in one of the studies, which indicates the effectiveness of the NEC and electrical inspections at
the time of construction. It also suggests that identification and correction of unsafe conditions
in existing dwellings by means of appropriate inspections could effectively eliminate a
significant portion of the residential fire occurrences and other associated hazards.

The first edition of NFPA 73, Residential Electrical Maintenance Code for One- and Two-Family
Dwellings, was adopted in 1993. The second edition of the document was submitted for formal
adoption at the 1996 NFPA Annual Meeting.

Significant changes to the 2000 edition of NFPA 73 included a new title and an expanded
scope. The Standards Council and the National Electrical Code Technical Correlating Committee
approved changing the scope of the document to include all dwelling units, including
multifamily dwellings and mobile and manufactured homes. To support expanding the document
scope, the NFPA Technical Committee on Electrical Systems Maintenance cited that
deterioration of electrical systems could occur in existing multifamily dwellings and mobile
and manufactured homes. The inspection community now had a code that could be used to
improve the safety of electrical systems in all dwelling units. The change in the title from
“maintenance” to “inspection” reflected the intended purpose of the document.

The 2006 edition reflected editorial revisions of the code to comply with the latest edition
of the Manual of Style for NFPA Technical Committee Documents.

For the 2011 edition, the title of the document has been changed from Electrical Inspection
Code for Existing Dwellings to Standard for Electrical Inspections for Existing Dwellings to facilitate its
use within the home inspection community. This assists the inspectors, who are not code
enforcement officials, by allowing them to utilize the standard for their inspections and
thereby improve the electrical safety in dwelling units.

Samples follow, I will be coming back here to the first board I joined long ago and will add items that will be useful. Stay tuned.

[Linked Image from joetedesco.org]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
Joe,

It is great to see you back here.

Caper

Caper:

This was the first board I joined back in 2000 and it should be a place where I spend my time. The members who have been here for a while will be reminded of all of the great stuff that can be found here. Bill has kept it in tune along with the moderators who also make this place worthwhile.

Joe, AKA Nec Meister from the old days on Prodigy

PS: I still have the plaque that the Secret Society of Electricians awarded me in Mystic, CT.

G
I still have that "Edison Electric Light" sign you gave me, on the wall next to my front door

Greg Fretwell
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I still have that "Edison Electric Light" sign you gave me, on the wall next to my front door

I remember that sign, found a couple in my storage bin. Photos of Secret Society of Electricians Here's a link to the pictures of the SSE

clap

Here's what that sign showed:

This Room is Equipped with Edison Electric Light

Do not attempt to light with match. Simply press switch on wall by the door.

The use of Electricity for lighting is in no way harmful to health,
nor does it affect the soundness of sleep.

H
Joe,

These pictures look like some of the jobs I use to work on. Here in NJ there are a lot of homes that still have K&T wiring. There is chicken wire, plaster and lathe in them walls too!

Maybe even some cash too! yay

H
Sorry Joe,

I never did find any cash in the walls, (well maybe a few pennies) but I did find old newspapers,razor blades behind medicine cabinets, old garbage, dead animals, and once an adult playing cards. I think they went home with a helper or something.

Link Copied to Clipboard