ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 266 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
Happy New Year everyone! This is my 1st post on the forum . I am roughing in new home with a 2 person elevator. The GC gave me specs about circut sizes. I am going to meet soon with GC, HO and elevator co. rep to discuss layout. Anyone with past experience have any advice on this topic?
Thanks
Heatwave

I
In Commercial work it's easy and I can not imagine it is much different in residential.

Drop a disconnect in the machine room for motor power, from disconnect into the elevator MCC.

Drop a disconnect in the machine room for car lighting power, in my area the elevator guys usually want a fused disconnect that takes a 15 amp fuse, from disconnect into the elevator MCC.

Elevator installer takes it from there.

As far as feeder size they will tell you clearly what they need, at least that's been my experience.

Don't forget outlets and lighting in machine room and Pit if it has one.

Hope this is helpful

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
W
Also there's fire alarm protection in commercial, pit and ceiling, and emergency power, some are designed with emergency nearest floor drop off.

S
Dont forget to check for fire alarm implications, and if a sprinkler head is in machine room, you will need a shunt trip breaker for motor power feed. Most residences dont have sprinklers but..... most dont have elevators either!
(BTW - if the bldg. IS sprinklered, you can request a variance to remove sprinkler head from elevator machine room.)

Bob
L
Heatwave...don't forget the phone line too...

i'm sure they don't want to miss any calls going from the first floor to the second floor..... [Linked Image]

I
Wirenuttt

I left off what I assumed (always a bad move) he would not be dealing with. I did not think of a house with all those systems, but I don't think elevator and house together, at least for me!

I should not have assumed anything, he asked for info and I made it sound like that was everything.

I will try to do better next time.

I am new here, but it seems like a great place to learn and have a laugh.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
H
Thanks for feedback! I have read code book and gained some insight however talking to fellow EC' is most helpful.....

Link Copied to Clipboard