ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wewire2 Offline OP
what's with the sticker in pull sections and gutters that require you to lash the jumpers together with nylon rope?
Isn't that considered a fire hazard? I would post a photo
of the sticker but I'm not sure about copyright infringement.

Copyright should not be an issue, but I'm another Sparky...not a lawyer.

I'll take a shot....lashing conductors to prevent 'whipping' in the event of a fault?

John
M
I think Hotline has it. the higher the fault current the higher the electro - motive forces involved. It is important to brace conductors inside splitters and gutters against the mechanical damage and potential electrical damage in high current faults. Small wires are often self limiting in the fault current they can conduct but as the wire size increases so does the current and associated mechanical forces.
I have never seen these labels.

I have a video from Bussmann (Safety Basics) and there are a few 'demo' faults with conductors whipping. And, I seem to remember a few of the 'old timers' would lash conductors, either out of habit, or perhaps pride. Dome was really works of art!

John
W
wewire2 Offline OP
Reminds me of the movies where an electrical wire shorts out. The wire does a snake dance every time.

You guys are using nylon rope to try and negate the electro-motive forces under fault conditions?
Over here you are required to clamp wires and cables with saddles (over a certain size, of course).
Pretty much you are wasting your time with either rope or saddles.
Fault currents and their effects are something that is little understood by both designers and electricians.
If you've ever seen a HV cable snake around after a fault down-stream, you'll know what I'm on about.

T
Regarding Copyright issues: I'm not a lawyer, but from what I've read from both US and European sources, if you take a picture of something, you hold the copyright to the picture, and no one else. There are only two limitations: a) the owner of the premises where you stand while taking the picture can tell you not to take any pictures and b) if you take pictures of any people they have to consent before you publish the picture. In some countries there are particular laws concerning publically displayed works of art (e.g. statues in the street) but I haven't heard of something like that in the US, and a sticker in a piece of electric equipment can hardly be considered artwork.

W
wewire2 Offline OP
Here's a photo of the sticker.

Attached Images
Beeline.jpg
IMHO, I stay with my original comment above, but someone may have a better reason.

'Beeline' seems to remind me of a manufacturer from the past?

John
'Beeline' is now within the Cooper group, thanks to Google.

Website has an issue when I was hunting to see if there is any current info. Time permitting, I'll get back later.

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard