ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#19923 01/05/03 09:13 PM
OK, I've got to confess...I was watching "This Old House" today.
They had an "electrician" that in addition to some incredibly bad work mentioned that outlets were computed by the "point", with a lighting outlet=1 point and a recp=2 points. [Linked Image] (A certain # of points could be put on a 15A circ, 20 A circ).
Huh?

E
I didn't see the show, but I'll partially defend the guy. This is probably just his way of determining circuit capacity. Almost everybody I know uses different numbers for residential. Some go strictly by X number of openings, others will look at it with some grace given to outlets that you know won't be used and don't count them. How do you determine when to cut off a circuit, and don't tell me you calculate the actual load because you have no way to know what people will use them for and residential doesn't have the same restrictions that commercial does.

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 01-05-2003).]

G
Eagle do you always have a plan with the electrical on it or do you lay most of it out yourself?

E
Usually we have to lay it out ourselves. Even if we have prints, they don't break it down by circuit, just where they want the fixtures and switches.

S
Hrm... Canadian EC states that maximum 12 receptacles on a 15A circuit. I wonder how they agreed upon that figure? 1A per receptacle? 12A = 80%

Electric Eagle,
No need to defend the guy. I just haven't heard of such a "system", and wondered if you guys had. (I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers)
Some of the things the guy did on the show were undefendable.

How do you resi guys determine the number and distribution of your general-use recps./lighting outlets? (will we get 5 different answers from 5 different people?)

S
AFCI's have some bearing in the layout here, since we are required to protect 'living areas', the definition has been 'interpeted' to death......

E
electure,

We generally take 13 openings per circuit. But this is loosely defined, because like I said earlier some outlets we know will get rare use and other times you know a 400 watt fixture will be on the circuit. I guess we get the 13 figure from the maximum outlets allowed on a 20 amp commercial circuit. Also if I know 20 - 60 watt fixture are going to draw .5 amps each, I have no problem putting all on one circuit.

How do you determine circuits?

G
Eagles method approximates ours pretty close.Does anyone else use all 12?

A
For residential we put 8 to 10 recepts per 20A circuits. No lights on recept circuits. All lighting circuits are loaded to 1800 watts and we calculate the maximum fixture for the outlet. If its a bedroom we figure fan with 4 bulb light kit, 60 watt closet and so on.

I know we wire heavy but I picked up a contractor because his electrician had a long run of 12 with lights and recepts and when the home owner plugged in an iron the lights dimmed and flickered. That contractor spends about $150K a year with me now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard