ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#198571 01/27/11 11:21 PM
S
SJT Offline OP
There are a number of 100 Amp 600V fusible disconnects that were installed on a project. They had installed a round type of voltage indicator (approx. 2" diameter)onto the front face of the switches. The wiring is then secured to the inside of the door with slack and goes to the Line terminals.
My concern is, are we allowed to mount anything on a door? A lot of people did not see anything wrong with it. I don't like it, and was looking for some code articles that I could hit them with. I never installed anything on the door of a disconnect. Thanks

Modifications to the enclosure (door, etc.) IMHO would be an issue with the UL listing/labeling. Also, I would have an issue with the volt indicators being on the 'line' side; is there any OCP? How are the terminations of the meter leads made on the 'line' side. What purpose were the voltage indicators installed for?

John
S
SJT Offline OP
Thanks John,
I don't think it flies with UL. They were installed in the field. I have to check, if there is fuse protection for the meters. The terminations cannot go under the same lug. I want to check that.
They are using them for a fast visual to determine voltage presence.
When I find out, I'll let you know
Good Day - Steve

T
The set-up seems poorly thought out. One would want the leads to go to the LOAD terminals so that blown fuses -- and single phasing -- would show up.

Further... Is this out in the open? NEMA 3R?

Are you dealing with 1-phase or 3-phase power?

It's hard to see how meter leads would NOT foul up safe access to the fuses.

Tesla
S
SJT Offline OP
Tesla,
Three-phase, indoor, and they want the leads on the Line side. Large experimental hallway. I agree, the wiring could be in the way.
To be continued, Thanks -SJT

Link Copied to Clipboard