ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
Video: Inventor of the GFCI self-testing shocks
by Bill Addiss. 01/17/18 11:11 PM
FPE in Germany
by HotLine1. 01/17/18 07:07 PM
VDE 0100 to introduce AFCIs
by LongRunner. 01/17/18 10:32 AM
Fujifilm Recalls Power Adapter Wall Plugs
by Admin. 01/16/18 07:04 PM
New in the Gallery:
Housebilding DIY wiring
SE cable question
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 10 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Neon lights #196511
10/09/10 11:27 PM
10/09/10 11:27 PM
S
sparkync  Offline OP
Member
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 830
NC
I have a customer who has neon lighting around his business exterior. I was on his roof checking on another project with the manager up there with me. The manager started walking around his roof area while I was checking on the other project. He called me over to some flex that was feeding the transformers for the neon lights. It was making a buzzing sound. As I was checking it, my finger brushed up against the flex and I got a small tingle. I got my tester and checked to see if there was any voltage on the flex and found out there was around 85 to 90 volts from the flex to a piece of conduit right below it. The conduit actually had little white dots where the flex had been touching it, and also the conduit had a rusty area in the same area. Other parts of the conduit had no discoloration. I checked other parts of the flex around the roof and the voltage was not as high as it was where we heard the buzzing sound. Do these flex carry regular current carrying condutors to the tubes, or are there just electodes in them? I haven't worked much with neon lights, but I did tell him it needed to be checked out. That much voltage on the exterior of the flex could pose a shock problem, don't you think??? Thanks for the input..

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Re: Neon lights [Re: sparkync] #196512
10/10/10 06:14 AM
10/10/10 06:14 AM
Trumpy  Offline

Member
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,231
SI,New Zealand
Mate,
You want to be very careful testing a thing like this especially with test gear that is only "good" for 600 or 1000V.
Neon signs use a secondary side voltage (depending upon the size of the sign) of between 15 and 50kV.
The wires on these signs need to have the proper silicone insulated wires, you can't use ordinary wire at these voltages, especially if they are exposed to the weather.

I went to a place a few years back where people were getting shocks (not just a tingle) off the doors in a restaurant kitchen, I found that the neon sign on the roof had really dodgy wiring and was leaking to earth via the steel roof and framework, but not enough current to blow any protection gear.

My advice would be to tell the guy to get a proper sign guy to have a look at the install, it sounds like it needs some work.

Re: Neon lights [Re: Trumpy] #196531
10/11/10 10:56 AM
10/11/10 10:56 AM
S
sparkync  Offline OP
Member
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 830
NC
Trumpy, thanks for the advise. That's what I'll do. No sense in getting in something way over my head. I'll stick to what I know:)


Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

 

Member Spotlight
Posts: 362
Joined: April 2003
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Admin 20
sparky 18
Potseal 14
Popular Topics(Views)
243,547 Are you busy
180,357 Re: Forum
170,836 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1
(Release build 20180101)
Page Time: 0.015s Queries: 15 (0.003s) Memory: 0.9505 MB (Peak: 1.0745 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-01-19 13:26:15 UTC