I visited Vietnam a couple of years ago and that utility pole is typical. In fact I have some photos of poles worse than that. I used ATM's in Hanoi, Hue, and Saigon and had no problems. Was I lucky or is that incident a one off? Outlets were generally a dual 2 pin type that could accept US or euro type plugs. Interestingly in the ex presidential palace in Saigon there were 3 pin versions. The fridge in my hotel room had a moulded schulko plug in a 2 pin socket. Obviously I was aware of the possible danger and was glad the room had a wooden floor. Even if a 3 pin socket was fitted I would not have confidence that the earth pin was connected. However this does not only apply to Vietnam but much of the 3rd world and also to older installations in parts of Europe.
Re: LA Times article bad electrical safety in Vietnam
#194845 06/27/1006:02 PM06/27/1006:02 PM
Yes, here in the US, in the 'older' areas of the large cities, and the 'older' dwellings in the countrysides are still 2 prong receptacles. The grounding adapters I've seen over the years mostly did nothing but look good. During renovations upgrades are normally done