ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#188787 09/02/09 10:43 AM
Cat Servant
There's a story behind this picture, and I'd like to share it with you.

Back in the 70's, offices were changing. No longer did the typical desk have but a typwriter and - maybe - a pencil sharpener. Computers were coming; word processors and plug-in calculators were common. Even the simplest desk required several receptacles.

So, the 'power strip' came on the market. None of these were UL-listed, simply because UL refused to do so. It was felt that installing a power strip would lead to an NEC violation: that is, more receptacles than the code allowed on a circuit.

Within the offices of a certain testing lab, the staff faced the same problems as everyone else: not enough receptacles. Well, they certainly were not about to buy a non-listed product! Oh, no .... they had their maintenance guys make something. This is a pic of what they came up with:

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

haha, i think i have one like that stashed away somewhere. they come in handy, especially if you replace the switch with another outlet

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH
N
At least they used nipples to connect the boxes. All too often I see wires just run through open knockouts...

N
Look at the good side, looks to be all Hubbell components (not 100% sure about the switch).

i wonder why the switch box is bigger than the 2 outlet boxes??

-Joe
-Tom Silva
TOH
Cat Servant
It's not, Joe ... it's just a different make. Some have rounded corners, some have square corners.

i see

-Joe
-Tom Silva
TOH
G
Yep.
The switch box is the type that is drawn from a single piece of metal, while the receptacle boxes are made from flat pieces of steel that have been spotwelded together.

Ghost307
Originally Posted by ghost307
Yep.
The switch box is the type that is drawn from a single piece of metal, while the receptacle boxes are made from flat pieces of steel that have been spotwelded together.

I can understand the spot welded box being made out of one bit of steel, but how do they make them other boxes?, especially when they have knock-outs in them.

G
They put a single piece of metal into a large punch with a die on it.
The die holds the metal by the edges while the rest of it is stamped into the shape of the die. The tabs for the screws are bent over in a separate operation, while the knockouts are punched 'almost' through, with the exception of the little part that holds it in place.

If it's a complicated part, it may go through several separate dies to get to the finished product.

Some of the auto part stampings when I was working at Ford went through as many as 5 dies to get to a finished part, with some of those dies having moving parts so that the steel wouldn't get stuck on the bottom part of the die.

Ghost307
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard