ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Top Posters(30 Days)
twh 3
Recent Posts
FPE in Germany
by Texas_Ranger. 11/19/17 07:30 AM
Ceiling fan distance from outdoor hot tub
by gfretwell. 11/16/17 02:18 AM
diazed fuses
by Texas_Ranger. 11/13/17 03:02 PM
Theft deterrent alarm
by gfretwell. 11/12/17 01:39 PM
EEPROM errors on XC7Z010-2CLG225I chip
by twh. 11/07/17 05:45 PM
New in the Gallery:
Gallery Test
Popular Topics(Views)
242,610 Are you busy
178,797 Re: Forum
170,043 Need opinion
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (crselectric), 46 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#186688 - 05/24/09 11:26 AM DYI Advice  
WESTUPLACE  Offline
Member
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 251
Kingwood, TX USA


Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

#186690 - 05/24/09 05:38 PM Re: DYI Advice [Re: WESTUPLACE]  
GA76JW  Offline
Member
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 193
Suwanee, GA USA
Wow someone is completely mis-informed on how a GFCI really works. Someone needs to do a little research before they post a response.

Good Find. lol


"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here


#186692 - 05/24/09 06:18 PM Re: DYI Advice [Re: GA76JW]  
harold endean  Offline
Member
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,233
Boonton, NJ
NAW! Why should they try and research the correct answer. It sounds good, and after all they are the "Expert" here on that board!


#186694 - 05/24/09 07:04 PM Re: DYI Advice [Re: harold endean]  
pdh  Offline
Member
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 354
When I click on ask an expert a question, I don't even get a place to enter a question. What a silly, poorly designed, website (not to mention the error by an "ex-spurt"). I did find a form to submit an issue with the FAQ. So I submitted that the FAQ lacked an explanation on how to post a rebuttal for an error from an "expert". Will see what I get.


#186697 - 05/24/09 10:59 PM Re: DYI Advice [Re: pdh]  
Jim M  Offline
Member
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 457
Chestertown, MD, USA
Here are the experts credentials.

About Alex Napier
Expertise
I can answer pretty much any electrical question that would arise from 120/240 single phase systems. Those found in the home.

Experience
I've been a residential electrician for 9 years. I've wired new houses and have updated old houses. Everything i do either meets or surpases the electric code (NEC)

Education/Credentials
I learned from several Master electricians. On the site. I don't really have any formal schooling. But i have gotten many compliments from those in my trade. Including the local power company. Needless to say i don't have alot of trouble getting local permits because i have already proven myself. I've proven i know what i'm doing and i proved i do clean, safe work. Easily meeting or surpasses the local codes


#186701 - 05/25/09 03:30 AM Re: DYI Advice [Re: Jim M]  
Trumpy  Offline


Member
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,223
SI,New Zealand
Originally Posted by Jim M

Education/Credentials
I learned from several Master electricians. On the site. I don't really have any formal schooling. But i have gotten many compliments from those in my trade. Including the local power company. Needless to say i don't have alot of trouble getting local permits because i have already proven myself. I've proven i know what i'm doing and i proved i do clean, safe work.

Good catch Jim,
This guy is a dreamer, we have all learned from electricians.
The difference being, we actually went to Night school and got some sort of licence to do what we do.

Compliments add up to nothing, no matter who they are from, if you haven't got something in writing (as in a legally binding certificate), you have no right to be giving out in-competently thought-up advice.

This guy says he has proven himself, to whom?, I wonder, obviously not to any sort of a State Licencing Board.


#186706 - 05/25/09 10:31 AM Re: DYI Advice [Re: Trumpy]  
renosteinke  Offline
Cat Servant
Member
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,316
Blue Collar Country
It's amazing the tangents this thread brings to mind ....

First, I think of a recent job, were 99% of the work had been done by an unlicensed guy, who had dropped out of the apprentice program half-way through. Oh, his work was quite neat and competent - but it was also clear just where his education stopped. Those parts of the job that involved topics taught later in the program .... controls, contactors, alarms, even troubleshooting the lighting .... he avoided. He had never learned those parts.

Then I think of an upcoming job, where the GC and I are having a bit of a disagreement as to the required electric. The GC has overlooked several required circuits, and has placed 6 hair dryers, four curling irons, and the cash register on the same circuit. Do you think the customer - a hair salon - will be happy if the GC has his way?

OK, so I'm better trained than the GC and the half-trained guy. How do I get this message through to customers? How do I put a value on my 'design judgement?' That's the business challenge I have to face.


#186721 - 05/25/09 05:54 PM Re: DYI Advice [Re: Jim M]  
pdh  Offline
Member
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 354
Originally Posted by Jim M
Here are the experts credentials.

About Alex Napier
Expertise
I can answer pretty much any electrical question that would arise from 120/240 single phase systems. Those found in the home.

Experience
I've been a residential electrician for 9 years. I've wired new houses and have updated old houses. Everything i do either meets or surpases the electric code (NEC)

Education/Credentials
I learned from several Master electricians. On the site. I don't really have any formal schooling. But i have gotten many compliments from those in my trade. Including the local power company. Needless to say i don't have alot of trouble getting local permits because i have already proven myself. I've proven i know what i'm doing and i proved i do clean, safe work. Easily meeting or surpasses the local codes

I don't have any formal schooling, either. Nor am I an electrician or EC. Yet I know how a GFCI works and know it can be used on an ungrounded circuit. I know what ground fault means and that it can exist (and can be protected for) without an EGC. Does that mean I could qualify as an expert on that other web site? It might. And that is what scares me because I should not qualify. I might be able to answer THAT question right, but what about the others?

Maybe he can wire lights, outlets, and a panel in a home and actually get it right and make it safe. I believe I could do that. And I've done pieces of such work on my own home (I'm still here and alive). But would Mr. Napier be able to correctly retrofit older wiring? Apparently not. I'd hire an electrician ... but not him.

Oh, I'm here on ECN to keep up my perspectives in case my next job goes back into data center facilities management and I need to work with ECs. Things work smoother when the design requirements don't have code issues, for example.

Back to the so called expert. Google found this for me:

http://www.liveperson.com/alex-napier/

I wonder if that's the same Alex Napier.


#186722 - 05/25/09 05:59 PM Re: DYI Advice [Re: renosteinke]  
pdh  Offline
Member
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 354
Originally Posted by renosteinke
First, I think of a recent job, were 99% of the work had been done by an unlicensed guy, who had dropped out of the apprentice program half-way through. Oh, his work was quite neat and competent - but it was also clear just where his education stopped.

Reminds me of the picture I saw here a while back of the nice neat installation where the phases were not in balance in the conduits.


#186735 - 05/25/09 10:30 PM Re: DYI Advice [Re: pdh]  
harold endean  Offline
Member
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,233
Boonton, NJ
I remember that old commercial where the one guy said to the other, "Let me do it boss! I always wanted to be a lectrician." (Or maybe it was a mechanic.) It just sounds better as an lectrician!


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Member Spotlight
BEAMEUP
BEAMEUP
WA
Posts: 27
Joined: December 2004
Show All Member Profiles 
Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

 

Shout Box
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.017s Queries: 16 (0.003s) Memory: 0.8238 MB (Peak: 1.0073 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 22:48:36 UTC