ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#186426 05/12/09 02:51 PM
R
Rabbit Offline OP
I am interested in an old style dimmer board. I had three (yes three) being removed from a school system in my area. My company did not win the bid, but I contacted the successful EC and was assured I could have one. I offered to remove for free and even pay a small sum for them.
I never heard from them again and my calls went unanswered. I am sure they went in the trash. These are typicaly in school auditoriums and theatres. I can offer some compensation. This is for my rumpus room.

Rabbit #186428 05/12/09 02:56 PM
L
I bet someone saw the copper and scrapped them.

LarryC #186434 05/12/09 04:20 PM
R
Rabbit Offline OP
I bet you're right. I would have paid scrap + and removed to boot.

Rabbit #186437 05/12/09 10:55 PM
E
Rabbit, while it may be too late, have you attempted to contact the school board personnel? They might have a clue as to where it is and most school systems these days would be happy to take a few extra bucks. Maybe they can track them down for you.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Originally Posted by EV607797
most school systems these days would be happy to take a few extra bucks.

One would think so, but a friend of mine almost got fired for selling off unused (sat in storage for 4 years) equipment from the theatre. It's not like he took the money for himself; the administration found out when the check arrived, yet they still considered it "theft" of district property. Words cannot express my disdain for this policy, as the equipment in question would have sat in storage for another 30 years, until being thrown out (literally, in the dumpster, regardless of operating condition) during the next remodel.

I'm not suggesting that people shouldn't try elesewhere, but make sure what you're doing is within the rules or else you could be putting someone's job on the line.

N
Originally Posted by noderaser
Originally Posted by EV607797
most school systems these days would be happy to take a few extra bucks.

One would think so, but a friend of mine almost got fired for selling off unused (sat in storage for 4 years) equipment from the theatre. It's not like he took the money for himself; the administration found out when the check arrived, yet they still considered it "theft" of district property. Words cannot express my disdain for this policy, as the equipment in question would have sat in storage for another 30 years, until being thrown out (literally, in the dumpster, regardless of operating condition) during the next remodel.

I'm not suggesting that people shouldn't try elesewhere, but make sure what you're doing is within the rules or else you could be putting someone's job on the line.

Unless a district sends it to scrap or a landfill, I think that CA districts have to put surplus up for bid.

NORCAL #186446 05/13/09 04:04 AM
G
I wanted the stainless steel heat exchanger out of a water cooled computer the county was throwing away. Long story short, there was no way they could sell it to me or to give it to me. The thing had to be crushed with the rest of the machines. Such is how governments work.
After it was all over the DP manager told me I should have just taken it and never told anyone but I couldn't do that.

Greg Fretwell
I wonder if they crush the hard Drive along with the Computer or remove those first.

G
This was a mainframe and the "hard drive" was 24 3380s. Yes they did crush the HDAs when they crushed the drives but these are not really something your average hacker can read anyway ... unless you have a mainframe and a 3380.
The HDA is 2 feet long and weighs about 80 lb with 11 14" platters. The voice coil magnets (2 per side) are the size of pavers.

Greg Fretwell
R
Rabbit Offline OP
Yeah, It's too late to get from the owner. When will I ever learn some people lie like breathing air?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard