ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#182102 11/18/08 05:50 PM
T
Anyone ever have a rule at work about NO facial hair?

Just curious, my buddy went to an interview, and the guy told him no facial hair. He has a really short gotee and has had it sense I have known him, over 10yrs. My buddy said if offered he probably wouldn't take the job for that reason. I understand you want your guys to look professional, just seems a bit much for me.

Anyone hear of some strange policies?

Last edited by Trick440; 11/18/08 05:51 PM.

Shake n Bake
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Trick440 #182112 11/18/08 10:14 PM
G
Not really that strange when I think about the appearance aspect of it, but I have recently heard of employers not wanting workers with tattoos above the neckline or below your sleeves. I understand the fact that customers may not feel "comfortable" around this type of person. That is not to say that they are not good people. Just thought I would add that.

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

GA76JW #182118 11/18/08 11:02 PM
G
I had a full beard for 24 of the 30 years I worked for IBM and they got over it. That was even in the "white shirt, 14 pound wingtip shoe" days.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #182144 11/19/08 01:02 PM
Z
Sounds like a pretty nazi-esque type of rule, but the employer sets the standard, and as long as they make that rule clear before hiring, it's up to the prospective employee to decide if it's worth it to comply.

More important than facial hair, or any similar picky rules, just keeping a generally tidy appearence important.

I really don't care if my guys want to grow mutton chops or a lincoln beard, as long as they keep it well trimmed and clean.

Zapped #182146 11/19/08 02:23 PM
P
The only place I've encountered restrictions on facial hair (no beards) was in the Navy. Tatoos are now taboo too. Existing tats are okay, new ones cannot be seen in areas that the uniform doesn't cover (arms, face, etc). I guess they consider it destruction of government property... I agree with Zapped, as long as hair is neat and clean it's okay. Piercings can also get out of hand. Maybe I'm just old.

petey_c #182148 11/19/08 02:48 PM
L
If the facial hair interferes with any required PPE like respirators, the owner MAY have a valid reason.

Larry C

LarryC #182156 11/19/08 10:25 PM
W
I was on the haz-mat response team when I worked in a factory, required the wearing of a respirator, and therefore a clean shave everyday. Did not bother me I never could stand facial hair any way, too itchy.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
I personally don't have a problem with facial hair on a worker as long as it is kept clean and trimmed.
I shave every day of the week, as I have a "beard" that will often start to grow back during the day and I usually come home with stubble on my face, the warmer the weather the faster it grows. mad

As for tatts, I don't really have anything against them as long as you can't see them with "normal" clothing on.
If you want to get a tattoo on your neck or your face expect people to look at you sideways.
While I would not get one myself, I have a lot of good friends and workmates that do have them and they are bloody good workers and have no criminal record or intentions.

This is what annoys me a tad about a thread like this, people tend to pre-judge others on their appearance.
The next guy that you refuse a job because he might expose a tattoo on his upper arm during the summer, might be one of the best electricians in your State.
Do so at your own peril.

I had an interview with a young guy at work once when we were hiring a new electrician, the guy that showed up looked like he had just got out of bed (his hair was all sticking up) and had not shaved in some days before turning up.
I sat him down and asked him what he could do for our company.
His response pleased me, we chatted a bit and he started the next day.
He turned up clean shaven and with a hair cut you could set your watch by.
That guy is now the Service Manager at that company, he is a brilliant electrician.

Trumpy #182172 11/20/08 06:30 AM
Nice success story.

But here is realty. Most punks don't care what they look they like, and they don't care who it offends, and they don't want to work. They want a position, not a job. Having said that, when looking at a group of applicants I don't have time to do a syc eval on each one. Therefore, I have to narrow the field down quickly. First are the basic requirements, next is the education and experience. Then I meet them. Again I say I don't have time to work out there ethics for them, they *better* make it as easy as possible for me to see them as a professional.

If they show up with long hair, dirty hygiene, tattoos everywhere, nose rings, and tongue rings hang out, wearing beach bum attire, thats it....they're out of there.

Before you start flaming me, know this, I have hired people like that, because I was in a bind and needed labors in a really bad way. Only one of them, out 12 or 14, is still with me. And two days before I was going to can his job, he got right with Jesus Christ. That was three ago, and he has been absolutely supper every since. And I always make a point to tell him how much I appreciate him.

--
robert

rwcanary #182175 11/20/08 06:54 AM
Nice first post, mate.
I'll be watching you. grin

BTW, welcome.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard