ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 252 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#180169 08/15/08 04:52 PM
W
wiking Offline OP
For years I have always up sized the breaker by at least 125% of the load on an Insta-Hot (sometimes known as a Tankless Water Heater). Now I find out that since it is considered a non-continuous load, I can size the breaker according to the load, at least according to one supplier and a company tech rep I talked to.
This would have made things much easier if I had known this, but am glad I know now.
Doesn't it seem to be pushing it too close to have the breaker right at the amp load? What about nuisance tripping in case of a weaker or eventually worn breaker?
Factor in things like voltage drop or perhaps the device slightly raising it's ampacity over time due to wear or tear, it seems like a potential for at least some minor problems.
Another question I have is whether a disconnect is required under the sink with the Insta-Hot. A well respected (and feared by some) inspector told me that if there was not a requirement on the blueprint for a disconnect, it doesn't need one according to code. I definitely always label the breaker in the panel and write on the insta hot what circuit and panel it is.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Tom Offline
Your supplier & tech rep are correct about circuit sizing. See 422.10

The circuit breaker can sevre as the disconnecting means but will probably need a provision for attaching a padlock and the provision must remain in place with or without the padlock. 422.31(B)

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Tom #180196 08/16/08 12:35 PM
G
Around here they will usually want the local disconnect. Our AHJs do not think much of residential LOTO capabilities. Up to 20a this is usually cord and plug, 25a and up is going to be a pullout or switching device.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard