ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
F
frankgi Offline OP
I recently failed an inspection because the existing exit/emergency lights were on a dedicated circuit with a sp breaker lock. I was told that circuit needed to be tied in with a breaker that controls a row of lights in the vicinity of 2 emergency lights.(There are other e/e's throughout the building....a liquor store) Customer turns the fixtures on and off by the breakers. Just wondering if Art#700.12(F):exception would apply? Light fixtures and e/e's originate from the same panelboard. There are more than 3 rows of lights. My remedy was to tie e/e circuit in with a row of lights to be left on 24/7.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

"Its all about the small details"
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

OK, a plain english explanation....

One open large area/room/store/office, etc.
IF three (3) or more lighting circuits in that 'room', you are allowed to have a 'dedicated' exit/em circ w/cb lock.

IF NOT, the exit/em lighting has to be circuited (connected) to the local lighting circuit, before any switch.

You also mentioned 'existing'; did you touch, modify, relocate, or not touch it?
Usually, a retail store falls under the 'more than three (3) circuits', and has a dedicated exit/em circuit with the 'nite lites'. The number of 'rows' is not really relevant, it's the # of lighting circuits.

What part of NJ are you in ?? And what Article was cited? and by who, Elec, Fire or Bldg?

Last edited by HotLine1; 08/06/08 09:07 PM.

John
F
frankgi Offline OP
>You also mentioned 'existing'; did you touch, modify, relocate, or not touch it?
Usually, a retail store falls under the 'more than three (3) circuits', and has a dedicated exit/em circuit with the 'nite lites'. The number of 'rows' is not really relevant, it's the # of lighting circuits.

Hi and thanks for your reply.
Just added 1 exit/em with a dual remote head outside, from existing exit/em dedicated circuit. Easily more than 10 lighting circuits from panel. (1 circuit per row)

>What part of NJ are you in ?? And what Article was cited? >and by who, Elec, Fire or Bldg?

SJ.... Art 700 .....Elect
FrankG

Best solution...call and speak to the elec inspector, explain that there are more than 3 circuits, the e/e is dedicated, and there is a breaker lock. Conformance with Art 700 IMHO, from your explanation.

John
F
frankgi Offline OP
Thanks John.
FrankG

Link Copied to Clipboard