ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#176822 04/13/08 07:28 PM
Cat Servant
Ohio seems to have lit up the internet by declining - or at least deferring - adoption of the 2008 NEC.

Minnesota moved to adopt it without comment ... but was deluged with the required petitions to have an open commentary period.

For this thread, I'd like to know:

- Has the 2008 been adopted in your jurisdiction?

- Is the 2008 being opposed in your area?

- Has the 2008 been subject to an extraordinary amount of amending ?

- What seem to be the issues that inspire the objections?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

F
John.,,

Right now the State of Wisconsin still on 05 code cycle but we are in progress getting the 08 code cycle going but the last time what I heard that they may delete the AFCI again but that is up in the air for now and i heard some rumors but i can't confirmed but it should be in the new state code book but somehow it got delayed with three items

AFCI
TP
WR
i think few more but i really can't comment all because i did not get chance to read all the details from my state office about this on going change.

However what i heard some GC did raise the voice about the cost related to the AFCI.

as i am typing now the news been spread fast with the state of Ohio did and i am not too surprised if other states will join the act with it.

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

H
John,

As of right now NJ still follows the '05 NEC and the '08 is up for adoption. The state will post the new code on it's website and I believe we would have a chance to voice our opinion as to what we like or do not like about the new code. I myself do not think that the Tamper proof receptacles are needed and I am not sure about the Arc Fault. In NJ we have a lot of old homes that have multiple branch wiring to them. I don't know how that will affect the AFCI breakers.

B
- Has the 2008 been adopted in your jurisdiction?

NO

- Is the 2008 being opposed in your area?

YES

- Has the 2008 been subject to an extraordinary amount of amending ?

NOT YET

- What seem to be the issues that inspire the objections?

COST OF IMPLEMENTING THE AFCI EXPANSION AND TAMPER-RESISTANT RECEPTACLES

This refers to the state of Florida.

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
G
I have said it before and I will say it again here. It is about time we said "no mas".
They should put a moratorium on all code changes for 10 years and let the dust settle a bit. The only changes during this period should be in fixing inconsistencies and poor language. No new rules should be made.
Then we would have 10 years to come up with a reasonable set of new changes that are well thought out and actually test technologies before they put them in the code.
There is nothing preventing people from using any listed device like an AFCI or TP receptacle. Let the manufacturers sell them to the public, not just be able to force them on the public by quasi governmental fiat.

Greg Fretwell
B
It looks like we are getting real close to that idea Greg.

I believe there will be NO amendments or code changes for 3 years when the 2007 FBC is adopted in October. There will only be a glitch code cycle to correct conflicts, mistakes, ect.

When the Florida Building Commission begins work on the 2010 FBC, all proposals to amend the code, including the updating of standard editions will be accepted then and only then.

It may be possible at that time the 2008 will be adopted or possibly we will skip to the 2011, or posibly stay with the 2005 again...

Who Knows?

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
Reno:
Input from the first '08 NEC Changes CEU course I was involved in:
Tamperproof & WR where very controversial.
Panel ID raised a lot of feathers.
Quite a few 'horray's' for 680.26 change

Hopefully, as harold said..a chance for interested parties to voice opinions before DCA makes the adoption. AFCI has not made it yet here, although the big box stores have them on the shelves. My gut says 'maybe by Sept'

John
Cat Servant
It appears that Minnesota's attempt to 'automatically' adopt the 2008 NEC is being challenged. This means there will be hearings, etc. .... so all bets are off there. as well as in Ohio.

K
ohio has put a hold on the part of 08 nec that has to do with tamper proof rec.& afci if you pulled a permit from 3-30-08 to 7-1-08 earlyer permits you must follow 08 nec & all other parts of 08 nec is adoped when this was discosed at NW DIV OHIO CHAPTER I A E I meeting last week just outside of toledo ohio

kohli #176860 04/14/08 09:09 PM
K
Also i have played with older A F C I at I A E I meetings & at ohio chapter meeting I talked with SD D senior PE . We Talked to greae amownt about GFCI & how they did there home work befor leting out the new A.F.C.I. I think they are worth the time & money . I am puting 7 or more in my home at present R Kohli Ohio licance 14491 Coloradio Master 740

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard