ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#176220 03/25/08 10:33 PM
J
Jordan Offline OP
Hey guys please posts pics of your tools pouches and power tools to see what I need to get started in the trade with tools!

Jordan #176221 03/25/08 10:41 PM
Cat Servant
There are plenty of discussions on this topic so far.

Your employer ought to be able to provide a list.

If you're really getting started, the employer ought to supply the necessary broom, shovel, etc.

renosteinke #176222 03/25/08 10:46 PM
K
KJ Offline
pencil and notepad

KJ #176223 03/26/08 08:22 AM
Z
lol reno!

Jordan #176225 03/26/08 09:51 AM
B
Originally Posted by Jordan
Hey guys please posts pics of your tools pouches and power tools to see what I need to get started in the trade with tools!

As the others have alluded to...
the general principle is that you don't to own an "X" until you have learned how to use and "X" and have some notion of how frequently it will be used in order to judge whether to get the very best "X" made or whether a lower grade/priced "X" will meet YOUR needs.

Your employer and your JM will provide the opportunities you need to be able to accomplish the above.

Design-Build isn't supposed to mean design *as* you build.
BryanInBalt #176228 03/26/08 01:17 PM
C
Hi Jordan,

As you may have noticed its going to take some doing to gain a little respect in the trade:) Hang in there!

The most important tool you already own. It's kept between your ears. Don't let anything happen to it!

The only other thing of equal importance is going to be your attitude. Are you prepared to be responsible, dependable and helpful in any way you can? Can you remain positive while performing unpleasant tasks?

If not then don't bother wasting any money on expensive tools. The first few months of employment will most likely be spent proving you have what it takes.
Prove that your trainable and you will be trained. Be trained and you will be respected.
I'm not saying let yourself be abused. Some guys get a little too much sadistic pleasure out of breaking in the new guy.
Just expect to work hard, listen closely, and take some chiding and know that in the end it will be worth it.

ChicoC10 #176230 03/26/08 03:16 PM
L
Just expect to work hard, listen closely, and take some chiding and know that in the end it will be worth it. --

And if you pay attention and do the other things listed above.

You WILL have an opertunity to "chide" your forman.
They do make rooky mistakes some times.But if your not on your toes...you'll miss the chance.

Good luck and welcome to the trade!!!!

Jordan #176235 03/26/08 09:25 PM
S
No pic but here is my list.

WD-40 - For items that should move but don't
Duct tape - For items that move that should't
Hammer - For items that the WD-40 should have get moving but couldn't.
Bailing wire - when the hammer was overused
Anything else is just an accessory

Last edited by sparkyinak; 03/26/08 09:26 PM.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
sparkyinak #176236 03/26/08 09:42 PM
S
All kiddin' aside, Tools are like different models of trucks. Some swear by a certain model while other swear at them.

You employer ought give a list on what they expect you to provide and the type of work will dicate which tools you will normally tote in you pouch. There are different brands out there the do the samething but fits different in the everyones hand and perform a little different.

A good quailty tool geneally pays for themselves despite their higher price. If your job allows you, I would invest in a tool box for those tools that you may use on an occasion but does not warrant to carry in the pouch. No one wants to pay you to run out to yor rig just for a tool.

Warranty replacement can help you decide which tools to purchase. Like for me for example, my tool box has Ace Hardware wrenchs and sockets because there is an Ace hardware store in each town in the area I work but only one electrical warehous in an area the size of Florida. I use Kline screwdrivers for the quality. I am not too worried about the warranty because I will either void the warranty by beating on them or lose them before they break. smile

Last edited by sparkyinak; 03/26/08 09:43 PM.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
sparkyinak #176415 03/31/08 10:03 PM
U
my rule is, if you borrow it three times, you need to buy one....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard