ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
aldav53 Offline OP
Checked a job today that had a late 50's "Touch Plate Electro Systems Inc" Relay System. Customer said previously one reley would go out and it would cause several buttons for other lights that wouldn't work.
Anyone ever come across an older (X-10 look alike) but with lighted buttons and relays, (not progammable of course) system like this and how they are wired roughly? First I've seen in 30 years of work.

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
I
Check out this link, it has manuals, diagrams, parts etc.

Touch Plate

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
V
There can be many switches in each location, I have found the - wire broken on the swithch plate cause this kind of problem. Also a stuck relay can cause this. This is the most common problems I come across. Rod

B
also a stuck switch will disable all the other relays on that power supply.

T
the power units also go bad every 40 years or so and cause erratic operation of the relays. It can be a subtle thing sometimes. If all other fixes fail, check how much voltage the power unit is putting out. 28 volts or so if I remember correctly. Its been a few years since I touched one of these. Relay cabinet of every one I have ever seen was a rat's nest horror of wiring for some reason. Maybe guys don't want to stay up in those hot attics a moment longer than necessary...

Last edited by trollog; 01/29/08 09:42 PM.
A
Dale electric supply sells parts for those.

J
Touch plate system is the the oldest low voltage switching there is. They are a 12 vac system and you can use a 12 v continuous duty relay and standard light switch to replace them. The original "lite touch" system was a two wire system as where newer lower low voltage systems were a three wire system with latching relays, GE RR7. I have repaired them with the 12 volt relays from Grainger---it works.

Joe Ogle

Link Copied to Clipboard