ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Redsy Offline OP
I have seen (and done) conduits, fixture chain, etc. screwed directly to the underside (ceiling) of corrugated metal roofs in commercial buildings.

I am bidding on upgrading some fluorescent shop lights to T5
low-bays, and some of the existing shop lights are installed this way.

Does anyone know the details, or have a sectional drawing of a typical roof of this type.

Thanks,

Reds

do you mean pole barns ? just a lag eyebolt, S hooks, and chain ?????

Tom
L
LK Offline
corrugated metal roofs, I never make any holes in them I have however attached to corrugated deck roofs. I will all depend on the design of the roof, and what the manufacture recommends, as with any roof system check first.

Cat Servant
I'm imagining those steel buildings, where all you see is steel beams and puffed-out plastic wrapped fiberglass insulation. If that's what you have, then there is NOTHING between that fiberglass and the sky but that single layer of sheet metal.

Naturally, you do not want to punch any holes in that metal. I've hung lights by attaching beam clamps to the lighter steel framing pieces. This is also a good place to use SO cord for the whips; MC seems to impart a twist to the fixtures, leaving you with a pretty sloppy look.

I was really impressed with the T-5's I installed. In a bay measuring about 50x80', with the lights mounted 22 ft. up, a dozen 5-lamp fixtures lit the place brilliantly.

In another place, I found the same fixture to be more than a match for the 400w Metal Halide lights that had been there.

IF you are lucky enough to have two layers of sheet metal - that is, steel-insulation-steel - for the roof, then you can mount directly to the inside layer. Nothing will really hold besides toggle bolts.

I'm finally done with my nap...if redsy is talking about roofs that are supported by steel bar joists, then he could simply throw a piece of shallow strut between two joists up at the roof pan and with twirl nuts and eyebolts hang the fixtures from that .

we also used a piece of 3/4 EMT with minnies and S- hooks to support 8' strip lights

Tom
I
If the specs allow it we will tek screw to the decks.

I also used about 500 of these

[Linked Image from erico.com]

on one job to support florescent strip lights on cable.

Heres a picure

[Linked Image]

Deck Hanger and TDHP2 Punch

Last edited by iwire; 01/13/08 06:27 PM. Reason: Add picture

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
W
Just a hunch but I think the corrugated roofing you are talking about, might be pan decking. lightweight
concrete is poured on top of the pan decking. When you look up and see the lighting supports it appears they are attached only to corrugated roofing when in reality they are anchored into the concrete above.

R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks, Guys!

I am talking about metal roof decking supported by bar joists.

I know it is more than a single layer of corrugated metal, because I have screwed straps to it in other facilities in the past.

I will check with someone at the facility to verify.

R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks, Les.
I hope you are well.!!

Link Copied to Clipboard