ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
Walter Offline OP
Hi to all,
I'm dealing with a 3phase, ungrounded, system. The owner has a private submeter and wants to install a PSE&G meter. He says his meter shows about 800 to 2000 kwh per month. He currently has a 200A, 3phase service, but PSE tells him that with those numbers he's giving them, he will need a 2500A Service! Can someone explaing their method of determing service required? Thanks, Walter

S
Welcome to the message board. Unless there is a massive load, I do not see the need for such a huge service. I think somewhere someone got a number twisted somewhere. You may want to contact them to find out. I presuming that it a 208 volts service which equates to an average of only 7.7 amps an hour.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
R
Check this out for starters: See chapter 7. There is a load data sheet.

http://www.pseg.com/customer/business/new_service/pdf/RequirementsElecSvc2005.pdf

They will look at the information you fill in, and apply demand factors.

At least that is my experience.

Hotline would probably be able to provide some insight into PSE&G

Last edited by Redsy; 12/09/07 06:07 PM.
Walter:
Welcome to ECN; another 'Jersey Guy'!!

OK, as Redsy said, you have to provide an "ESI" form to PSE&G for requesting electrical service.

That said, some of your info above don't 'register' right with me.

"I'm dealing with a 3phase, ungrounded, system. The owner has a private submeter and wants to install a PSE&G meter. He says his meter shows about 800 to 2000 kwh per month. He currently has a 200A, 3phase service, but PSE tells him that with those numbers he's giving them, he will need a 2500A Service! Can someone explaing their method of determing service required? Thanks, Walter"

Where is the electric service coming from now? A 'private submeter' has to be coming from a utility source, unless there is a private source of energy.

Perhaps, based on the address/block-lot you gave PSE&G, there is an existing PSE&G service and meter?? Maybe your client wants to 'add a meter' to an existing service??

Based on "3phase, ungrounded, system.", what is the voltage? 230 volt, 3 phase, 3 wire? 460 volt, 3 phase, 3 wire? Sounds like an old 'factory district'.

PS office is in Clifton for your area; marketing is in Secaucus last I heard.

John
W
Walter Offline OP
A sincere thanks to all of you who responded. It is an old industrial complex, practically abandoned but for two tenants, one of whom has a automotive machine shop; milling machine, drill press, etc. The landlord gets his ps bill, then tells his tenants what they owe him. One of them wants his own meter and that phrase "add a meter to an existing service" is more accurate than my "new service". I'll be in touch with PS with the load info and hopefully get a job out of this. Regards, Walter

Link Copied to Clipboard