ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
BigB Offline OP
I have had this happen twice now, two different customers. A circuit breaker will not reset, it will snap open, acting like there is a short circuit. In looking for the short circuit, I discovered there were lighting loads turned on. Once these loads were turned off, the breaker will reset fine, and stay set when the lights are switched back on. Once it was a new cutler hammer, the last one was a fairly new GE. I am figuring it is the low resistance of the cold tungsten filaments not allowing the breaker to reset.

The loads were not great, the first time it was a single incandescent bulb, this last one was three cans. The only thing both had in common were 3 way switching, but I can't see how that would matter. Any ideas or anyone else experience this??

Last edited by BigB; 09/09/07 09:35 PM.
C
wow, never heard of that before...(5 years only in the business)...to my knowledge a GE breaker will hold fast with a dead short for quite some time, pretty strange it would not reset under the conditions you described...interesting, very.

Last edited by Clydesdale; 09/09/07 10:21 PM.
W
I think it has to do with all of the poor quality bulbs being sold now - I've run across this twice before.

F
i heard about it as well but depending how many lightbulbs and type it was on the circuit it will affect it but if that keep tripping the breaker you can try to use the high magatinc swd breaker [ kinda like specal order breaker ] that will help to get by the montarly load

Merci , Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Link Copied to Clipboard