ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Top Posters(30 Days)
Potseal 11
Recent Posts
600 KW 120/208 3 Phase Y protection
by Yooperup. 07/24/17 12:20 PM
1913 American Electrician's Handbook
by gfretwell. 07/20/17 01:08 PM
Green House wiring
by ghost307. 07/20/17 09:10 AM
Permit Snafus...AHJs and Contractors Jump in
by HotLine1. 07/18/17 08:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Popular Topics(Views)
239,330 Are you busy
174,801 Re: Forum
167,173 Need opinion
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 84 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#16625 - 11/13/02 10:43 PM Inspectors  
Wirenuttt  Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 267
Do inspectors have to be licensed in the state they inspect for weather it's a city or region?

[This message has been edited by Wirenuttt (edited 11-13-2002).]

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

#16626 - 11/14/02 06:52 PM Re: Inspectors  
Tom  Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,044
Shinnston, WV USA
Here in the Mountain State- governmental inspector are appointed or hired & it doesn't matter if they can spell electricity. I, on the other hand, doing inspections on my own had to pass 2 nationally recognized tests.

All this is about to change slightly. Our legislature passed a licensing law that will require all electrical inspectors (mine inspectors exempt) to hold a WV Master License and pass any other test as determined by the State Fire Marshal. I can hear some of those city inspectors shaking in their boots. But make no mistake, this is just another tax on the working man.


Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

#16627 - 11/14/02 07:07 PM Re: Inspectors  
nesparky  Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 642
In NE an inspector must hold a journeyman or master/contractor license and pass the IAEI test to be an inspector. All inspectors are govermental employees either state or local city/county. All inspectors have to be acceptable to the state board.
This is getting rid of "uncle Joe" the one man town jack of all trades inspector unless "uncle Joe" is/was a licensed electrician.


#16628 - 11/14/02 09:01 PM Re: Inspectors  
HotLine1  Offline

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,853
Brick, NJ USA
Here in NJ Inspectors are state licensed.
Levels are: ICS & HHS, then Electrical Sub-Code, and if you desire Construction Official. Basically ICS is resi & light comm, HHS is everything. "Sub-Code" is like the cheif electrical inspector and Const. Official is the administrator of the "Construction Office" (Administration) We also have a T.A.C.O., who is responsible for running the office. (And a whole lot more)

All of the above positions require stste lic.
To qualify for Inspector, you must be a electrical contractor first. I believe the time is 5 years. Sub-Code is 7 yrs and CO is 10 years.

BTW, the Building, Plumbing, Fire, all have the same basic set-up, and the CO can have a "TECH" licence in any of the disciplines.



Member Spotlight
CA, Inland Empire
Posts: 43
Joined: September 2013
Show All Member Profiles 

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.012s Queries: 14 (0.003s) Memory: 0.7604 MB (Peak: 0.8908 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-07-25 20:34:18 UTC